Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Toddler Art

Before I had a child, I thought I understood what parents meant when they said that they loved their childrens' artwork.  I mean, your own child created that scribble, so you think that it is important in some way.  You might put it up in your office in case your child comes to work so he can see that you support him, or maybe you even like to have it there because it reminds you of her.  You don't want to throw anything away because it's a record of how your child progressed.  Yes, sure, you love your child's drawings.  I get it.

No, I didn't.  I love Samantha's drawings.  I mean, I actually like to look at them.  They please my eye.  I could hang them all over the house as decorative art, not just because she drew them, but because they are pretty.

I'm sure all of us parents are just a little bit insane.

Sam's Scribble

2 comments:

  1. I have a pre-school self-portrait by my youngest (now 17) on the wall next to my computer.

    The other day that picture came up in conversation when her friend asked "What is that?" At the time, my daughter was wearing an outfit similar to the one in her pre-school drawing.

    The older the kids get the more you value those pieces of your shared past.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim, that is just about the sweetest thing I've ever heard. Thanks for sharing it. Surround yourself with The Little Things you value, indeed!

    ReplyDelete