Monday, February 16, 2009

Sense of Order

I love identifying examples of Samantha's sense of order.  The world must still be something of a jumbled up flux to her, and she's working so hard at integrating her experience into chunks she can deal with.  Socks must be put in the shoes before shoes are put away; bib must be on before beginning to eat; dolls must be on their tummies for "nap."  Her rules, not mine.

This morning we were sitting at my computer.  I was reading blogs and she was sitting on my lap drawing with my pens.  I needed a bathroom break, so I told her I had to get up for a minute, and that she could draw more after I used the bathroom.  I started to take her off my lap, but she reached for the pens.  Instead of saying no, I waited to see what she would do.  She put the caps back on all 3 of the pens she had opened, and put them in the cup.  Then she was ready to get down. 

Just now, she picked up her Tupperware container of crayons, brought it to her table in the kitchen, colored something (I hope not the wall), and then brought the container back to its place on the shelf.

It's very rare that I have to explain to Sam which things should go in the trash and which should not.  Same goes for the laundry basket, and the kitchen sink.  She seems to have picked it all up from watching me.

Maria Montessori and Cornelia Lockitch taught me about children's need for order.  It seems to be common wisdom these days that kids need routine and structure in the events of their days, but they also need for things to have their place, and for this to be consistent.

It's a great excuse for nagging the husband to put things away, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment