Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Confessions

Forgive me, Internet, for I have sinned.  It has been 34 days since my last confession.

I love Jon & Kate Plus 8.  This is the reality show about the couple with a set of twins and a set of sextuplets.  Before I watched it I figured that this was a show about a redneck religious family mooching off of gifts from people who think that cranking out a bunch of kids is the lord's work.

They are indeed religious, which is why they made the choice not to reduce the number of embryos early in Kate's pregnancy.  While I find that choice to be insane, like just about everything motivated by religion, I do love watching those kids.  They are just adorable.

Kate is also highly amusing.  She's bossy, controlling, and a total neat-freak, and yet she's likeable.  Jon seems completely spineless, but as you get to know him you learn that he is mostly just one of the most mellow people you'll ever observe.  They're both intelligent and, despite some faith issues, for the most part they parent consciously.  Somehow, they make their family work.  When I feel overwhelmed with my one child, watching this show sometimes helps me gain some perspective.  They have eight.  At one point, they had two 6-year-olds and six 2-year-olds all at once.  Can you imagine!

If you watch the show, tell me who reminds you most of your own child(ren).  Samantha is like both Alexis, the mischievous one, and Aaden, the one they call the "professor," not just because he wears glasses, but because he is "in his own head" so much of the time.

3 comments:

  1. Tell me what you get for penance, because I'm going to have to chant it too!

    I think Kate is hilarious and Jon just rolls with the punches. The number of children exceed my ability to differentiate between them. It's a good thing I have only 3.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only seen it a few times, but my SIL is a regular viewer. I'll have to ask her which ones remind her of my kids.

    I marvel at the ability to handle that many kids. Three is a good number for me!

    Whenever I'm feeling overwhelmed about the Mommy Thing, I imagine Sacagawea, and how that poor woman had to travel across the country with two men, endure hardships aplenty--while nursing a baby. Or I think about Caroline Ingalls on the prairie, alone all day with three kids and doing laundry the old-fashioned way. Then I can usually get up the nerve to load my kids into the minivan and drive to chess class.....Perspective. It's a helpful thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. [...] Forgive me, Internet, for I have sinned.  It has been 143 days since my last confession. [...]

    ReplyDelete