Saturday, January 17, 2009

Having Kids Really Makes You Grow and Learn

One of the new skills you learn as a parent is interpreting an alien language:

FOG-O, FOG-O, FOG-O.  DIE. DIE.  NO TOUCH WET.  NO TOUCH.  FOG-O.  DADDY CUT TREE.  YESCH.

This means:

The decorative metal frog that we kept outside on the balcony is now downstairs on the deck, and it reminds me of that one frog, well it was a lizard, but it looked like a frog, that we saw at grandma and grandpa's house, and it was dead, but back to the metal frog, I was not allowed to touch it when it was raining outside that one time, but then I saw it downstairs when daddy was cutting down the tree.  Yes.

5 comments:

  1. LOL!

    I am looking forward to another round of that. Only parents can speak their kid's language. Strangers just look at you with befuddled faces because they lack the alien dictionary.

    "well yeah, what did *you* think she said?"

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. More impressive than your ability to translate Sam is the fact that you manage to capture Sam's personality in the translation. Yesch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that YESCH. I'm actually quite surprised she doesn't say, YEAH, since we haven't been too careful about speaking properly. But she loves to say YESCH.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want more of these! They're so great. And it's so amazing to see how Sam is learning to express herself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Colleen - I'm going to try to capture as many of these funny monologues as I can. A friend with a 6 year old was visiting and said she can't remember this phase with her son at all. We don't have a working video camera so this blog is what I'll have to remind me.

    ReplyDelete