Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Scissors, Scared, and Spendthrift Sipping

Three Good Things for the day:

  1. Samantha spent about 20 minutes using her scissors we gave her for Christmas.  She cut/pinched herself a few times but kept working at it and really improved her skill.  I love to see that!

  2. Sam had a nightmare last night, I think.  She was very upset and I decided to allow the rare treat of letting her sleep on my chest for an hour or so.  She's almost too heavy for that now, so I'm savoring it when it happens.

  3. I went to Wegman's again today and discovered that they have a whole lower level dedicated to wine.  It's not the largest selection I've seen in one place, but it's much nicer than any other grocery store I've ever seen, with many bottles in the $50-$70 range.  Not that I can afford that, but it's nice to browse.  Anyway, I bought a box of wine.  Have you tried the new boxed wines?  They are generally pretty decent, and you get 4 bottles in one box, which lasts about a month and costs about $20.  You can pour yourself a glass here and there and never worry about half the bottle going bad.  We're in saving money mode right now, so if we drink wine at all, this is the way we drink it.  Don't be a wine snob - try it!

3 comments:

  1. Ah--the college years are coming back to me at the mention!

    Even with the flush post-college years, I still used box-o-wine. The bonus is that the plastic bag shrinks as the wine is used, so no oxidation. The only thing I didn't like is how few wineries use that format. So the wine selection is limited.

    I've always liked it, but I am not a gourmand by any stretch of the imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim, the selection is still limited, but there are a few new brands out there doing a good job. I think Target even has their own brand.

    The shrinking bag is exactly what I like. We have one of those pump/stoppers that you put on an open bottle of wine and use to pump the air out, but it's a hassle and I was never confident that it worked well.

    Of course, there were the days when we'd split a whole bottle in one night. That works, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Travis and I have started buying boxed wine too! We got tired of feeling like we had to drink a whole bottle whenever we opened one. We've found a few pretty tasty brands too! Welcome to the club :-)

    ReplyDelete