Friday, January 30, 2009

Tweets, Tweaks, and a Musical Treat

Three Good Things for the day:

  1. Harry Binswanger is on Twitter

  2. I added a couple of new features to The Little Things.  I'm too tired to explain them now, but maybe you can have some fun searching for them.

  3. I think I mentioned that we bought Samantha a harmonica after her experience with a friend's iPhone.  She can actually make some nice noise with it, which is about all I can do myself.  Adam is determined to learn how to play "Dixie" on it.  This guy, though, is amazing.  Skip to 2:30 for the best part - the William Tell Overture on harmonica! (Thanks for the tip, Chris!)


2 comments:

  1. harmonica is good for all sorts of things. You can teach fundamental musical concepts like high notes and low notes in a way that kids have fun too. "if you play a high note, I'll pretend to sleep and if you play a low note, I'll pretend to wake up".

    I've been learning very slowly on the side, but have found myself frustrated at the lack of accidentals and missing notes.

    The other thing they are good for is giving a spouse a headache. :-( I basically have to be out in the car to practice, especially with the baby around. Of course, in the car, you can try jamming along with the radio.

    Right now I'm using a lip blocking technique, mostly to try and leave room for learning and playing bends (necessary for 2nd position blues harp). I can bend first hole fairly consistently, but anything else is still an accidental accidental ;) I can also see a very real need to learn good tongue blocking for flexibility and consistency in chords.

    rootie

    ReplyDelete
  2. rootie, I have no idea what you're talking about with bends and accidentals, but I like your game with high notes and low notes. We'll try that!

    ReplyDelete