Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Survival Day

Three Good Things is an interesting assignment today, it being a Survival Day and all.  The Survival Day concept started when Sam was an infant and there were those nights of just a few hours sleep and I didn't know how I could possibly make it through the next day.  I would tell myself, "just survive the day," and that would help me take it easy and not feel guilty for getting nothing done.  Now I declare a Survival Day when I'm very sick and I just don't know how I'm going to manage.  Today I woke up with a terrible headache and just not feeling right.  Sam ended up getting sick later in the day, so I guess it's a bug.

The funny thing is that Survival Days can end up being the best days of all.  It's impossible not to do anything productive when you have to care for a child, but the pressure to work on my to do list is off.  I always end up spending some really good time with Sam on these sick days.  Today, I had more physical contact with my daughter than since she was nursing.  We watched TV, played tickle monster, read a lot of books, and just cuddled on the couch.  After her bath, Sam sat still on my lap for about 5 minutes while we did nothing but rock in the glider.  We had a nice day, and here are Three Good Things:

  1. Sam decided that the funny phrase of the day today is, "Oh, drat!"  I was telling her a story, made up on the spot, and one of the characters said it and I had to drop the whole story and just keep saying, "Oh, drat!" for the next 5 minutes so that I could revel in that incredible giggle.

  2. I taught Sam to say, "supercalifragilisticexpialidocious."  Two syllables at a time, only, so far.

  3. An unexpected bit of money came our way, at a time when we really need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment