Sunday, January 25, 2009

Short Desk

Short DeskI'm 5'4" tall.  I'm short, but not tiny.  Still, a standard 30" desk is way too high for me.  Raising the chair just leaves my feet dangling, and I've never found a footstool that works without sliding around and getting in the way.  Chairs are always too deep for my short thighs but it's hard to sit forward in a chair without the counterweight of the floor for your feet to push on.

I needed a new desk anyway, suitable for our living room/library, so I decided to design something that would really work for me.  I'm very proud of the results.

First, we had this perfect corner in the room with a 4 foot long wall - just the right size for a workspace.  For the desk, I got a tabletop with adjustable legs from Ikea.  The desktop is 25.75" high and my chair is at the lowest setting.  The arms of the chair just barely slide under the desk.  When I sit and type, my forearms and thighs are parallel to the floor and my feet are flat on the floor.  I pull my chair forward and sit up straight just because it feels natural and comfortable - something I've never experienced before.  I've put my monitor on a wall mounted shelf, also from Ikea, so that it is right at eye level.  There is just 2" of space between the desk and the bottom of the shelf, but it's enough to slide my keyboard under the shelf so I have a nice, big area to write with pen and paper when I need to.

Next to my desk is another Ikea piece:

Ikea Stockholm

It's supposed to be an entertainment stand, but I use it to hold my printer, stationary, and all that miscellaneous stuff you need by your desk like paper clips and stamps.  The hole in the bottom that is supposed to be for your TV cables is perfect for the printer connection.  But it also serves another purpose - we needed a long, low storage unit to block off the drop into the sunken foyer (the banister had been removed prior to our moving in).  Since you see the back of it when you walk in the front door, it also had to have a finished back, which is rare with inexpensive furniture.  We searched long and hard for this one.  It is modern, sleek and stylish and serves all of these functions perfectly.  It gives me such pleasure just to see it every day.

I also have a bookcase (from Ikea, of course) mounted above my desk for my papers and other storage.  I need to get a couple of baskets to slide onto the shelves to hold mail and stuff to be filed, but then the setup will be complete.

I've been using this arrangement for a couple of weeks now and it was well worth the effort of designing it, finding the pieces that would work, and setting it up.  It's been so long since I've been able to do things like this - to make my living space work for me, and to look good too.  When you rent and move around a lot, you just make do.  A functional and comfortable workspace is the kind of Little Thing that I love to surround myself with.

5 comments:

  1. Nice job! I do not have a flair for design at all, but that looks nice and really functional.

    ReplyDelete
  2. [...] The Little Things Short Desk Posted by root 1 hour 6 minutes ago (http://www.amymossoff.com) Short desk january 26 2009 in homemaking 1 comment short desk i 39 m 5 4 tall it supposed to be an entertainment stand but i use it to hold my printer stationary subscribe to feed powered by wordpress and tarski Discuss  |  Bury |  News | The Little Things Short Desk [...]

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is fantastic! I googled "short desk" because I have been at a loss to find myself a comfortable work space! I'm only 5'2", and I spend a lot of time doing work (graduate student), and everything you describe is how i feel when I work at a standard desk - i end up with legs dangling, back hurting, and it's not at all a comfortable working environment! I'm going to use your design and adapt it slightly, but it is so helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow. i have never related to someone so much. i hate tall desks and people told me i was nuts when i complained about mine. i am about the same size as you and am extremely relieved to knw that it is not just me. I will defnitely be following your lead with a shorter desk

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very intelligent design!

    It's very important to have your feet flat and elbows at 90 degrees. A good footrest is a slanted one I found from the healthy back store; it's adjustable and heavy enough to stay put, and only about 35 bucks. Here it is: http://goo.gl/tFmoi It's so good I bought one for home and work too.
    I am looking for a short desk for home too-- I think I will copy your idea.

    One thing to keep in mind is that your monitor should be at least 20 inches away from your face and the ideal height is such that the top third of the screen is at eye level. It also helps, especially if you spend lots of time on the computer, to have glasses optimized for that particular working distance.

    And take breaks! I'm an eye doctor and I found your site while looking for graphics for a presentation I'm giving about computer vision syndrome.

    ReplyDelete