Thursday, January 8, 2009

The Sam Update - Twenty Eight Months Old

Since I missed the quarterly pictures, I have two sets for you today. Click the picture, then click "Slideshow" at the top-left to see them all.








Sam 24-28 months









Christmas 2008

 

As I've been reporting, Samantha is in her terrible two's phase.  I think it could be more properly called the testing two's.  She is testing cause and effect, mostly how she can cause me to effectively lose my mind.  No, seriously, it's a challenging time for us, but I view it as normal and actually quite an exciting development.

Sam is now using three words sentences quite often.  NO COVER UP means that she does not want blankets on her at night.  MORE WATCH DUCK means she wants to watch the TV show, Little Bear, but don't ask me why she calls it "Duck."  PICK UP YOU means that she wants to be picked up - she still can't get that pronoun thing straight.  She loves words, especially big words.  Now is the time when I really need to start recording all the funny things she says.  If you didn't read about her first joke here on my blog a couple of days ago, you really have to read it now.  It made my heart leap with joy!

Sam has started to memorize her books.  I think she might even be able to sight-read a couple of words, but it's hard to tell.

Another interesting development is her verbal recounting of events.  A while back, Adam and I updated our bedtime routine to include a recap of the day.  After reading a book, we turn off the light and talk about what we did that day.  She doesn't participate yet; she just listens.  But it must have influenced her because now Sam tells us stories about things that happen to her.  She tells her stories in a strange stream of consciousness way.  For example, she'll look out the window with a glazed look on her face and say, FALL DOWN. Then she'll make a sad face and say, ABBY.  If I'm quiet, she'll continue with furrowed brow:  FALL DOWN.  FALL DOWN.  NO.  NO PUSHING.  ABBY.  NO PUSHING.  NAUGHTY.  FALL DOWN.  DIRT.  NAUGHTY.  NO.  It turns out that there is a girl in Sam's school named Abby who likes to push.  I think she must have pushed Sam down in the dirt outside, and then was told she was naughty.  Another one from tonight:  FRUIT CUP.  BUY.  EAR.  EAR.  DOCTOR.  ANIMAL (still pronounced AM-EE-YOH).  PAW.  DOCTOR.  ANIMAL.  SHOE.  NAUGHTY.  This means that we went to the store and bought fruit cups, and when we got home we discussed taking her to the doctor for a possible ear infection, (but that we also talked recently about taking Toby to the animal doctor because he has a boo boo on his paw), and when we came home Sam would not put her shoes away and she was naughty (even though we didn't call her that.)  I love interpreting these soliloquies.  When I get it, it's almost the same feeling as when she first started using sign language - it's just a whole new level of communication.

The other thing that is a bit more disconcerting is that her imaginary play usually involves giving her dolls and animals time-outs.  She is either giving Girl, her new doll, a time-out, or she is putting her down for a nap.  I wonder if these are the two things that she feels the most lack of control over. 

It's so hard to be a parent.  You can never know if you're doing the right thing, and even if there is no one right thing, you still wonder if you could be doing better.  The pace is relentless, the feedback is fuzzy and usually delayed, and when you try to do research and read and learn from others, there is so much information that you can lose sight of your own values and goals.  I've always sneered at parents who claim that what they want most for their children is for them to "be happy."  Well of course, you want them to be happy, but get specific, folks!  Do you believe in education, unconditional love, faith in God, the pursuit of wealth?  Come on!  But I do find that when I feel uncertainty about how I'm raising Samantha, I look at her and ask myself: is she happy?  It's not the best standard to judge by, I know.  She might be happy now, but miserable later.  But it is something.  And I'll tell you, this is one happy kid.

2 comments:

  1. I love 2! Has to be my favorite age. Three is even more fun. But it's the "fighting-fours" that keep me gritting my teeth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aki, It's nice to hear that somebody else likes 2. 2 gets such a bad rap.

    ReplyDelete