Saturday, January 31, 2009

A Good, Light Read

I highly recommend my latest read: The Difference Between You and Me, by Kathleen De Marco.  It's set in Hollywood and revolves around two women trying to get into the movie business.  They are indeed, very different women, and their parallel stories combine to create a theme that I can say is almost something along the lines of: the morality and practicality of the Benevolent Universe Premise.  Both women learn that people can be trusted and that achievement is possible - achievement in this world that is practical and spiritually fulfilling at the same time.  Cynicism and second-handedness both explicitly fail. 

The book does not dive deeply into philosophical issues - it stays at the surface level of psychology, but it does it well.  The plot is fun and riveting, and basically lighthearted, which fits the theme perfectly.  

This is the best novel I've read in a long time.  I truly loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment