Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Mysteries

Why do parenting books and web sites tell you all the things you need to do to "baby-proof" your house, but make no mention of when you can remove all of that safety stuff?  I know it depends on the child, but really, I have no idea if I should still be pinning up the blind cords or keeping all the outlets covered.

Taking down the baby gates on the stairs and letting Sam go up and down at will led her to finally work on walking instead of crawling on the stairs.  (She can climb up without a handrail or even a wall for balance now!)  We also stopped locking up sharp objects (except razors) and only keep medicine and chemicals safely out of reach.  She has learned to be careful with sharp objects.  I'm not sure if there is any independence to be gained from the other things, though.

2 comments:

  1. When they are old enough to defeat the safety mechanism, it is no longer either useful or (in theory) necessary.

    Now, if I can only get my hand into the drawer to unlatch it...
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete