Sunday, March 22, 2009

The Only One

It's nice to have a unique name:








HowManyOfMe.com







LogoThere are
1
or fewer people with my name in the U.S.A.

How many have your name?

(HT: Rational Jenn)

It's actually quite convenient that I married a man with a rare name since I don't have a middle name to distinguish me.  My parents thought it unnecessary, given that my maiden name is Afflerbach.  That fact accounts for my short first name as well, which I appreciated very much growing up, having to write Afflerbach over and over.  Thanks, Mom and Dad!

Adam doesn't have a middle name either, but we did give Samantha a middle name, Miriam, after Adam's mom who died about 13 years ago.  I'm not a fan of naming children after relatives, but this was a special case.

Speaking of names, it looks like Samantha might become a Sammy.  She calls herself Sammy most of the time, even though Adam and I use it rarely.  Now that she started it, though, we've been using Sammy more often.   Whatever you call her, she is unique.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Amy. Are you related to the Andrew Afflerbach who (at least as of the late 90's) did astronomy/astrophysics research?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sure envy you people with your unique names. I like my simple, monosyllabic names but good gravy is it impossible to get good domain names or user names. I hope my girls marry well in that regard. (That's a First World Problem, if ever there was one.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that, Bill, about domain names being a First World Problem. Ha! Reminds me of the video I posted a while back about how everthing is amazing but nobody is happy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unfortunately, a lot of people use First World Problem as a sneer against our modern ways. For me, though, I mentally append "a good problem to have" whenever I use it.

    I'd say that domain name concerns are foremost to me because I work at a registrar, but I've been that way long before I ever started here. Before 6browns.com, there were fourbrowns and fivebrowns. :-)

    ReplyDelete