Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Tweezers

I made up a new game for Sam the other day.  I think it's a bit advanced for her, but it kept her occupied while I dried my hair.  I gave her 5 Q-Tips, a pair of tweezers, and the cup from my bathroom counter.  I showed her how to line up the swabs on the floor, about an inch or two apart, then how to use the tweezers to pick them up and place them in the cup.  I might try kitchen tongs and Brussels Sprouts in the kitchen next time.

This is another example of selfish parenting.  My motivation here was not to find something interesting for Sam to do, but to keep her occupied so I could get my own things done.  It worked out well for both of us.

2 comments:

  1. Isn't it also very Montessori in helping her to develop the grasp and control necessary for writing later on? Tweezers (as opposed to tongs) are quite advanced - how did she like either game?

    ReplyDelete
  2. LB: Yes, it is like a Montessori exercise. She doesn't quite have the fine dexterity needed for the tweezers, but she gave it a good shot. That's why I thought I'd try the tongs. But I probably won't do it until I'm in the middle of something and she's driving me nuts. Oh, nuts...maybe chestnuts...good idea for the tongs!

    ReplyDelete