Thursday, March 19, 2009

Book Reviews

I'm still working on the bible, but in the meantime, I've read a couple of other books I should note.

I read Good in Bed by Jennifer Weiner for my book club and enjoyed it as light fiction.  The main character, Cannie, pines over the loss of a loser-boyfriend and finds that if she is going to recover and have a happy life, she needs to address her self-esteem issues.  Cannie is smart and likable, and the plot kept me interested.  The book had some juvenile elements to it - some hysterical-dumped-female moments and a fantasy trip to L.A. when Cannie sold a screenplay - but I could overlook that.  I'd give it a 7 out of 10.

Based on a recommendation from a friend, I skimmed Sleep: A Groundbreaking Guide to the Mysteries, the Problems, and the Solutions by Carlos H. Schenck to see if it might give me any ideas about my insomnia.  I found that it wasn't really necessary to read it because my friend had already given me the best advice he had gleaned from it:  regulate your circadian rhythm by using blue light in the morning and blocking blue night at night using special glasses.  I'm going to try my full-spectrum light each morning and see if that alone will help. I won't rate the book since I didn't read the whole thing, but it seemed to have a really good overview of the wide range of sleep problems out there.  Interesting stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment