Monday, March 30, 2009

Good Calories, Bad Calories

I strongly recommend Good Calories, Bad Calories, by Gary Taubes.  If you haven't heard of it, the subtitle is, "Challenging the Conventional Wisdom on Diet, Weight Control, and Disease," and that is an understatement!  This book turns everything you thought you knew about nutrition on its head, or at least attempts to. 

First, I want to thank all of you who recommended this book to me.  I have been liberated from my fear of fat!  I knew that I did better eating protein versus carbohydrates, but I still thought I should eat lean meats and low fat dairy products to minimize fat, both for weight control and to keep my cholesterol down.  Even after reading Taubes' NYT article, What if it's Been a Big Fat Lie, I didn't quite get it.  Here is the inescapable truth: there is no correlation between dietary cholesterol and heart disease.  There is not even a clear correlation between the "bad" cholesterol in your blood, LDL, and heart disease.  And a correlation would only be a start anyway - as you know, correlation does not equal causation.  There is a correlation between the "good" cholesterol, HDL and heart disease: the more HDL, the less heart disease.  There are also some good theories for causation that fit with the studies that show this correlation, although they are not proven yet (in my opinion).  Still, nothing supports the conventional wisdom that suggests limiting fat in the diet--simply nothing.  The original correlations have withered away with conflicting data.  The theory has gotten consistently weaker through time.  Read the book - the evidence from the studies could not be clearer.   

Taubes has a much more ambitious purpose than just to debunk the conventional wisdom, though.  His goal is to inspire more formal study of the harmful effects of refined carbohydrates and sugars in the diet.  Overall, I agree that this absolutely needs to be done, but I think, along the way, Taubes ends up making some of the same mistakes he identifies in the low-fat advocates.  He puts too much faith in observational studies and anecdotal evidence.  I was much more convinced by his skepticism than his positive thesis.  To be more specific, I'll use the author's summary of his own conclusions based on the evidence he collected, and put in my two cents (in italics):

1. Dietary fat, whether saturated or not, is not a cause of obesity, heart disease, or any other chronic disease of civilization. (Emphasis added.) I'm not convinced that "disease of civilization" is a valid concept but otherwise, I agree with this statement as a general rule for obesity and heart disease. This is where I think Taubes is brilliant and revolutionary.  His meticulous collection and presentation of the relevent studies is impressive and convincing.  

2. The problem is the carbohydrates in the diet, their effect on insulin secretion, and thus the hormonal regulation of homeostasis--the entire harmonic ensemble of the human body. The more easily digestible and refined the carbohydrates, the greater the effect on our health, weight, and well-being. This is where I think he goes too far, but I fully agree that there is enough evidence to treat this as a theory to be studied further. Further, I think it is enough to justify my own effort to reduce my carbohydrate and sugar consumption, but in a much more limited way than Taubes might recommend. I might even call it "probable" that carbohydrates are a big problem in a modern diet. But to call carbohydrates "the problem" is going too far based on the evidence he has presented.

3. Sugars--sucrose and high-fructose corn syrup specifically--are particularly harmful, probably because the combination of fructose and glucose simultaneously elevates insulin levels while overloading the liver with carbohydrates. I don't think there is all that much evidence for HFCS being even more harmful than sugar (although there is enough to warrant further study), but what impressed me in his discussion of sugar is the mammoth amount of sugar consumed per capita in our country now - I can't find the figures but it went from approximately 10 pounds a couple hundred years ago to well over 100 pounds per year now. Otherwise, my comments on #2 apply here.

4. Through their direct effect on insulin and blood sugar, refined carbohydrates, starches, and sugars are the dietary cause of coronary heart disease and diabetes. They are the most likely dietary causes of cancer, Alzheimer's disease, and the other chronic diseases of civilization. I would put the qualifier "most likely cause" on the first set of conditions and "a possible cause" on the latter. Note that Taubes says "dietary cause," not "cause." This means: as effected by diet. Taubes does not deny the interaction of genetic factors or other environmental factors. He is speaking strictly about effects from the diet. But, again, with the diseases of civilization! I think that would only be a valid concept if, in fact, the earlier part of this statement was proved correct. In other words, if we did prove that carbohydrates and sugars caused diseases x,y,z, and we found that those diseases cropped up with the introduction of those foods in various diets, then we would have a valid concept. Of course, we'd probably call it something different then, like, "diseases of refined carbohydrates" or something. Still, this is the first place I have ever seen (and I have looked all over the internet, including in academic articles) any evidence at all presented for the "diseases of civilization" concept. It seems to be so accepted that nobody bothers to explain or justify it. But Taubes did give a history of the idea and it was a fascinating and compelling set of anecdotal evidence, but I just don't think it's valid to speak of these diseases as a group (and the members in the group are not always clear either). I think that is dangerous assumption-making, and the kind of oversimplification that Taubes warns us about in the earlier parts of the book. (The term "civilization" is inflammatory, from an Objectivist's point of view, but really it refers to agriculture, which many consider to be the necessary precondition to civilization. It really angered me, though, when Taubes quoted somebody who said that agriculture may have been the biggest disaster in the history of man, or something to that effect. Now that is the kind of anti-man statement I've heard when reading about the Paleo diet, at least in implication. If there are indeed "diseases of civilization," they are still a small price to pay for our modern world! Also, as somebody pointed out in the comments here on my blog, if modern foods are causing health problems, the answer is more science, not reversion.)

5. Obesity is a disorder of excess fat accumulation, not overeating, and not sedentary behavior. Wow! This is another area where Taubes shook up my worldview. You just can't understand this unless you read the book and the mountains of circumstantial evidence for this statement. I would add a qualifier to this statement that says that obesity "may sometimes be" a disorder of excess fat accumulation...or possibly, "may usually be." I still believe some (many?) people are overweight because they eat too much, even when their internal nutritional needs are met, but Taubes presents a plausible theory (see details below), there is evidence for it, and it fits with my own experience.

6. Consuming excess calories does not cause us to grow fatter, any more than it causes a child to grow taller. Expending more energy than we consume does not lead to long-term weight loss; it leads to hunger. Again, you'll have to read the book to understand and believe this. The key is that you can eat and the calories can get stored in your fat tissue without giving your cells the energy they need, so that being overweight is actually a manifestation of internal starvation. See #7. There is much evidence for this, but again, it really is not proven yet, in my opinion.

7. Fattening and obesity are caused by an imbalance-a disequilibrium-in the hormonal regulation of adipose tissue and fat metabolism. Fat synthesis and storage exceed the mobilization of fat from the adipose tissue and its subsequent oxidation. We become leaner when the hormonal regulation of the fat tissue reverses this balance. If you haven't read the book this probably doesn't make much sense to you, but it is intelligible in the context of the science presented in the book.

8. Insulin is the primary regulator of fat storage. When insulin levels are elevated-either chronically or after a meal-we accumulate fat in our fat tissue. When insulin levels fall, we release fat from our fat tissue and use it for fuel. Again, maybe. I learned a lot about the role of insulin by reading this book and it was fascinating.

9. By stimulating insulin secretion, carbohydrates make us fat and ultimately cause obesity. The fewer carbohydrates we consume, the leaner we will be. I wish, but again, I only give this a maybe.

10. By driving fat accumulation, carbohydrates also increase hunger and decrease the amount of energy we expend in metabolism and physical activity. Overall, I am pretty confident there is some truth to this theory, but I'm not convinced it is as clear-cut as Taubes suggests and I definitely do not think the evidence warrants cutting out most carbohydrates from one's diet, regardless of the costs in enjoyment, convenience, and price.

Much of the reason I say there is not enough evidence for many of these claims is that there have never been any real studies testing the hypotheses!  Taubes claims that the fat hypothesis is so ingrained and accepted that to even undertake a test of these theories would be blasphemy, so to speak.  To Taubes' credit, he calls the ten statements above his "own conclusions" and specifically calls for controlled studies.

I found the early part of the book the most interesting, where Taubes makes it clear that the erroneous fat hypothesis became gospel through a mixture of bad science, inertia, and government interference.  He goes as far as to say:
It's possible to point to a single day when the controversy was shifted irrevocably in favor of [the fat] hypothesis--Friday, January 14, 1977, when Senator George McGovern announced the publication of the first Dietary Goals for the United States.  The document was "the first comprehensive statement by any branch of the Federal Government on risk factors in the American diet," said McGovern.

This was the first time that any government institution (as opposed to private groups like the AHA) had told Americans they could improve their health by eating less fat...The document itself became gospel. It is hard to overstate its impact.

Another interesting issue is the concept of public health.  In a chapter called "The Greater Good" Taubes traces how the desire to "achieve the greatest good by treating entire populations rather than individuals" leads to patients who are not motivated to change their behaviors, which in turn leads to "experts" who exaggerate risks and try to create social pressure to change people's behavior, whether it is good for any particular individual or not.  Recognizing that this is an instance of collectivism at work really helps to understand the succession of "public service messages" we receive about health, which invariably are later revoked.  Think about the campaign against salt, or the outrageous exaggerations of the anti-drug campaign.

I could write even more about this book but I'll end with my own conclusions.  I do not think that carbohydrates are bad in the way that Taubes does so I suppose that I fundamentally disagree with the book.  (It is, after all, called "Good Calories, Bad Calories.")  I think the balance is off in the standard American diet--it is slanted too much towards carbohydrate consumption, in part because of convenience (which is a value) and in part (more recently) because of the low-fat campaign.  (Taubes specifically takes issue with the idea of a "balanced diet," claiming that the concept comes from the errors in the fat hypothesis, but I don't agree.  Because I do not think there is enough evidence, I default to a principle which fits with all my other knowledge about health, and life in general for that matter.)  For now, I'm not so much reducing carbohydrates as adding fats back into my diet.  For me, that means that carbohydrates are falling away more naturally, since I don't really like to eat much of them anyway.  I'm really just retraining myself to stop thinking in terms of fat being bad.  Once you see the Big Fat Lie for what it is, you will be shocked at how ingrained it is into your psyche.   I intend to trust my body's signals more than I have in the past, and to be even more skeptical (if that is possible) about nutritional studies.

16 comments:

  1. Thank you for the book review. I have not read Taub's book and probably won't. I know tentatively from your thoughtful and critical review (and other reviews praising it without reservation) that it would be toxic for me because of particular medical problems I had for more than 40 years. (I am now 65, BMI of 18.5, and very active -- the healthiest I have ever been in my life.)

    Eliminating all those medical problems was a result of a diet change. My diet is very low fat, high fiber, low protein, and high carbohydrate -- but the carbs I eat are only coarse starchy ones: potatoes, sweet potatoes, rutabagas, and so forth (as well as small amounts in fruits and vegetables). I am thriving on this diet and see no reason to change, for my needs.

    I mention this alternative not for your readers in general but for those rare individuals who have had the same medical issues I have had (inflammation problems) and might benefit.

    I am convinced -- based only on my own layman's experience, though -- that no one diet (regular pattern of eating) fits all. Finding the right diet is an adventure. Each of us must walk it alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Burgess, I had a couple of comments in my review about individual dietary requirements but I think I edited them out. (I can't re-read my post again after editing it 5 times over the weekend.) I think Taubes allows for individual cases like this in his theory, but, you know, I'm not sure. Either way, I agree with you that individuals have different needs, but that doesn't mean that there aren't principles that can be applied generally.

    I just browsed your anti-inflammation blog. (It looks familiar so I might have looked at it it in the past). I have my own "mystery pain" problem but I've tested negative for any signs of inflammation. That is one strict diet you are on, but I can see that you absolutely needed it. I'm glad you've found your answer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you read Fumento's book on diets? (http://fumento.com/fatland.html) "Fat of the Land"?

    If so, I'd be interested in your opinion of that book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good review.

    As for diseases of civ, you might notice at the end of his book that Taubes has read Nutritional and Physical Degeneration by Weston Price, published in 1939. Price studied fourteen different racial groups, both in isolation and then on western foods. It is this book that pretty much links modern degeneration in health to western foods. There are plenty of older texts, though.

    This is pretty much accepted in anthropology circles. Somehow it's simply lost on the modern medical and nutritional community, what some folks refer to as "modern ignorance." Here is a good beginner's summary of the health of paleolithic vs. neolithic peoples: http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2009/03/paleopathology-at-origins-of.html

    In summary, you are right, though. It's very well accepted, but it's already been so adequately documented that it doesn't really need seem controversial to those who have looked at the data.

    I myself found it hard to believe at first. But it's true. Given that most people find it amazing, perhaps this information needs wider circulation.

    I don't know any contemporary paleo advocates advocating a return to a hunter gatherer lifestyle outside of diet and specific types of exercise movements. In fact, you'll often see paleo advocates very clear about this on their blogs. "We're not saying we want to return to the days of hunter gathering." It's well accepted in this community that modern farming can pretty much duplicate the our genetically based nutritional needs -- they are simply advocating more of a return to pasture based animal-based farming like we had 60 years ago. See my blog for way more details on this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very good post, Amy. I read the Taubes book last summer, and I agree with you completely. His polemics against the "fat hypothesis" are fully convincing. The positive arguments for the claim that carbs as such are bad, while interesting and suggestive, are not in my opinion conclusive. The impact of the book on my personal diet/lifestyle has been almost exactly what you describe. I've always preferred "real food" (meat, dairy, fresh veggies and fruit) to "empty carbs", so now I go guiltlessly even further in the direction I've always leaned anyway. I've also tried to cut out vegetable oils in favor of better (and more good) fats.

    But switching to a fully "paleo" diet (especially if it's to include only pastured meat) is very expensive and inconvenient, so I think it would only be reasonable to do that if the evidence for "carbs are bad" and "corn-fed beef products are bad" were fully conclusive -- or, I suppose, if you tried it and found that it was good for you personally. But at least given the evidence I've seen (which is admittedly not much, but still), I cannot accept that "carbs are bad, for everybody, always, period".

    I also wanted to applaud your cautious skepticism about the "diseases of civilization" concept. I can accept that the incidence of certain diseases is higher in "civilized" countries. But isn't it also true that the overall life expectancy (not to mention quality of life) is far, far better in civilized countries than in any of the "primitive socieites" that Weston Price studied and that paleo-advocates cite as proof that we should abandon the modern, western diet? I'm sure the claim would be that it is factors other than diet (like technology and in particular medical knowledge/technology) which explains the better life expectancy in the USA today, as compared to (say) some Pacific island 100 years ago, such that -- if only medical technology (etc.) was controlled for, so that the effects of diet as such could be isolated, we'd see the primitive pacific islanders living longer, happier lives than contemporary Americans. But that is *precisely* the kind of (associational, speculative) reasoning that the paleo-advocates *rightly dismiss* as unscientific when they are, for example, criticizing the latest "red meat kills you" study.

    An alternative hypothesis would be that "diseases of civilization" aren't what you get when you eat white flour and sugar -- rather, they're what you get when you live longer because you didn't get killed in tribal warfare or eaten by a tiger at the age of 14. I don't actually think there's anywhere near as much evidence for this as for the "carbs cause these diseases" hypothesis. My point is just that these questions are really complicated, it's basically impossible to isolate the effects on longevity of diet as such, and the case for "carbs cause all these diseases" isn't as conclusive as Taubes and others have made it sound.

    That's what I wanted to say, but it would feel weird to end on that note. So let me just summarize by saying that, despite the skepticism of the last couple of paragraphs, my overall assessment of Taubes' book is very very positive. It radically changed my thinking about diet, and has changed my lifestyle and health in several very positive ways. Like you, Amy, I would unhesitatingly recommend it (and have recommended it!) to others.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Travis:

    I have heard, and I think Taubes presented this idea also, that it is factually incorrect that the explanation for more diseases in civilized societies is due to longer lifespans - that average lifespan is lower only because of infant mortality, but that if you get past that, you'll probably live as long as modern man. I had always assumed that longer lifespans were the explanation for any "new" diseases and that that was the accepted wisdom. I wish there were a layman's source where I could explore the whole issue further. I have to say, there are plenty of other theories that I can think up on my own to explain "new" diseases, such as the suceptible ones are precisely the ones who die in infancy from other causes in primitive societies, but we save them in modern societies, so that they grow up and get other diseases. In other words, the diseases hit the "weak" ones and we have more weak ones now. That is total speculation just to show that the data I've seen is not enough.

    Also, I have never seen estimates of average lifespan with infant mortality taken out of the equation, just the broad claim that infant mortality is the only difference. I'd like to see that. We probably just don't have enough reliable evidence, though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amy, yes, I didn't intend that as a serious suggestion, just an off-the-cuff example to make the point that "other plausible hypotheses are available." Your speculation about these diseases maybe hitting "the weak" (either, in primitive societies, in infancy; or, in civilized societies, later in life) is much better for making this same point.

    If you or anybody remembers where exactly Taubes discusses this, I'd love to go re-read that part of the book. Actually, I'd like to re-read the whole book, as I suspect there's a lot more that I missed or forgot. But I'll probably never get around to that since there are so many other things I want/need to read for the first time. Maybe I'll get the book on tape when it comes out and listen in the car.

    In any case, I agree, it would be nice to see a clear graph of "mortality by age group" for several broad types of societies, to get a sense of the extent to which average longevity is exclusively influenced by infant mortality rates. But even this could be misleading, basically for the reasons you mention in your speculative hypothesis about certain diseases killing off "the weak". Given that infant mortality is going to be a lot higher in the primitive socieites (and given that everybody dies *eventually*) it is possible (though not necessary) that mortality rates for, say, people in their 20's or 60's, could be *higher* in civilized countries than in primitive societies -- because "the weak" (who would have died in infancy without western medicine and other technology) can live into their 20's or 60's before petering out -- even though in fact a given individual would be better off in civilization. The point is that, even if we had this kind of data clearly accessible (and it's probably out there somewhere), and even if it *seemed* to show that, once you're past infancy, you're better off being on the pacific island in 1865 than in NYC in 2009, or that it was a wash, there would still be sizable room for skepticism. To really determine what is better, you need to do a randomized, controlled trial -- which is obviously going to be tricky to set up for this kind of case.

    Anyway, the general point here is just that, if one practices the same scrutiny and careful skepticism in regard to "the carb hypothesis" that Taubes et al. practice in debunking "the fat hypothesis", one finds that the former, while surely better supported by the evidence than the latter, remains just a strong hypothesis -- not an established certainty. And given the cost and inconvenience of implementing "paleo", that is a very important difference.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the review, Amy!

    Regarding data on infant mortality, you might search Stephan's site for that: http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/search?q=infant+mortality

    In particular, here's some data on the Inuit: http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2008/07/mortality-and-lifespan-of-inuit.html

    Regarding Taubes' positive hypothesis about carbohydrates, I do think that much remains to be discovered and understood. I tend to think that Stephan is right that various non-paleo foods (including tubers, grains, and dairy) can form part of a healthy diet -- provided that they are prepared properly. That's what the comparative data from various cultures suggests. (Stephan has blogged about that extensively. I'd like to do more reading on it myself.) Of course, individuals will vary in their tolerances for foods -- and I think it's critical to attend to the feedback of one's own body.

    Notably, I would not be willing to trouble myself with eating as I do simply based on the scientific evidence to date. However, I am committed given that (1) I enjoy eating more than ever before, (2) I feel so much better than ever before, (3) I've easily lost nearly 20 pounds after much fruitless effort in years past, and (4) my bloodwork has improved. Notably, part of my feeling better is simply a matter of energy levels and the like. However, it's also about the end of my pathological relationship to sugar. The costs of that -- in terms of my health and happiness -- were far, far greater than any trouble to eat as I do.

    As it happens, I also love to cook. However, I spend less time cooking than I used to do, and my meals are tastier. Plus, although I spend more money on higher-quality foods, Paul and I eat out less, so our food expenses haven't increased. Plus, I'm fascinated by the workings of traditional methods of food preparation, e.g. fermenting milk into kefir. (That's hardly necessary to the diet, however.)

    The only problem with my diet is that eating what other people serve can be tricky. Yet even then, I'm pretty flexible. I just need to avoid the bread, pasta, and sugar. (If I don't, I'll feel miserable.) With individuals, I can indicate my preferences beforehand. With restaurants, I order only what I want to eat. With banquet-type meals, I just eat what I want and leave the rest. If all else fails, I can easily skip a meal or two or three because my body can easily draw on its fat reserves rather than crashing without fresh input of carbs.

    So all things considered, I cannot see that my diet involves any noteworthy costs. (Of course, I did have some "start-up" costs as I figured out what to eat when, but those faded with time.) Of course, for other people, the benefits might be less and the costs greater. I wouldn't dispute anyone's choice in that, so long as they eat with their eyes open.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Diana, Great feedback. I appreciate your approach. I wonder what I'll be eating a year from now, as I follow my body instead of the "should nots" of the conventional wisdom. Who knows! I like the adventure of the new types of cooking, too, and opening my eyes to things like the homemade mayo (which went bad after only 3 days, darnit! Gotta try that whey next time.)

    Oh, I want to add also, that even with the small changes that I've made so far, I notice that I can go much longer without food. I used to have to eat quite often to avoid the blood-sugar crash. Now, I seem to be able to get through from lunch until dinner without a snack. I've always said that I could never, ever fast. Hunger was not the problem - the crash was. Now I see that it might be possible, although I really have no interest in fasting. It would be nice, however, not to have the stress of figuring out how I'm going to eat often enough when I travel, or when I'm hanging out with normal people who only eat 3 times a day. Those situations have always caused me anxiety. It would be nice to be free of that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amy, from what you've written, I think we have a similar response to the "normal" dose of carbs in the standard American diet. Fasting would have been completely impossible to me before. I used to be very dependent on constant inputs of food. I had to eat a snack right before and right after exercise -- or I would crash. Notably, that situation was actually an improvement over the kind of very hard crashing -- to the point of total incoherence and nausea -- that I often experienced after college, when I was eating lots of pasta and little meat. Adding more protein to my diet definitely helped that.

    In contrast, just last night I rowed two very vigorous miles in very good time (19:30 minutes) after fasting for about 32 hours. I wasn't weary or tired or hungry, although I was very happy to eat a hearty meal (a breakfast, actually) about an hour later. (Notably, it has taken me a while to develop the capacity to fast for that long with ease. At first, an 20 hour fast was quite hard.)

    I've not looked into the health benefits of fasting much, although from the little I've read they seem worth investigating further. Right now, I do it periodically to help with weight loss, as well as to allow my digestive system to clear out if I've eaten something that disagrees with me. Also, I don't fast unless I feel like it. (I wouldn't want to fast on a schedule, as some people do.) Most of all, given my prior dependence on regular inputs of food, I enjoy knowing with full certainty that I can skip a meal or two with ease. For someone who used to feel in thrall to any cookies in the pantry, that's liberating.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post! I'm in the process of reading Good Calories, Bad Calories as well. You're comments match my thoughts. At the very least, I am no longer afraid of fats and a bit more cautious of sugars. Over the summer, I want to do a little experimenting with our family diet and see how we feel. After hearing about Diana's success with her diet, I'm encouraged to try something different.

    ReplyDelete
  12. [...] important to good health – I mean, the ones who tell us so are the same kind of experts that told us that all fat is bad – but common sense tells me that I should be able to walk up a flight of stairs without [...]

    ReplyDelete
  13. i always make sure that i am on a Low Calorie diet. i avoid foods with high carbohydrate load because it would just cause more fats on the body. a low calorie diet is also associated with longer life span.

    ReplyDelete
  14. [...] I’ve recently come to see the light and I am no longer afraid of fat, thanks to Gary Taubes.  (I’m not afraid of carbs either, though, as he would have me be.)  I’ve started [...]

    ReplyDelete
  15. [...] the last year or so since I gave up my unfounded fear of dietary fat, I’ve had to learn new cooking habits.  I think what I’ve learned might be of [...]

    ReplyDelete