Sunday, August 2, 2009

Mysteries

How come women pay $60, $70, $80 for a hair cut?  I'm not talking color or highlights or any other treatment.  A salon hair cut in the DC area costs at least $60 and I've been told that it can run over $100.  Why does it cost so much?  It makes no sense to me.  Is this one of those services where raising the price actually increases sales because customers then perceive that they are getting better quality?  It's a hair cut, for god's sake!  For $100, Iexpect you to cut my hair into the shape of the Venus de Milo.

I've been paying the high prices for the past year because I couldn't find a better option, but it was making me so sick to spend that much money that I finally went to Hair Cuttery and got an excellent cut for $21.  It's definitely better than my last $65 cut, which I had to fix with my own scissors the next day.  Also, it took less time and I didn't need an appointment.  Granted, I probably got lucky and got someone with skills, but I was prepared to try every person in that shop until I found someone who could do a good job.  I'm sure there are a couple of good people at all of these low end chains.  And even if a salon cut was better, could it really be THAT much better?  I really think we women are suckers for anything beautifying.  It's the female equivalent of the mysterious success of the "male-enhancement" products.

So I'm free of the need to spend outrageous amounts on a hair cut.  Highlights, however, are another matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment