Friday, August 28, 2009

I Wonder What She Dreams About

The seven stages of toddler sleep (also known as Why I Don't Let My Daughter Sleep In My Bed):

  • Rapid Limb Movement (RLM)

  • The drooling stage

  • The twitching stage (not to be confused with RLM)

  • The heavy breathing stage

  • The sweating stage

  • The grunting stage

  • The continuous flip flopping stage


The final two stages lead inevitably to the awakening of the toddler, which, if you've experienced all seven stages, is always about an hour too soon.

3 comments:

  1. For me it was our daughter's "I must sleep perpendicular to the others in the bed" that was the deciding factor. I just traded beds with her on those few occasions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of our daughters does the flip-flopping plus Lynne's perpendicular sleeping and loves to sleep in our bed. It was driving my wife nuts (not to mention interfering with a good night's sleep) so I made a thick comforter into a sleeping bag of sorts and laid it on the floor next to my side of the bed with one of my pillows. She calls it her floor bed and cherishes it for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't stand to have my kids sleeping with me. I would camp out on their floor until they were asleep. That's just one of the reasons I'm not an attachment parenter.

    ReplyDelete