Monday, August 3, 2009

Blood and Chocolate

Sam had her first real bloody injury on Saturday.  Neither Adam nor I actually saw it happen, but we surmise that she tripped and fell into the door frame, forehead first.  I knew it was bad from the horrifying thunk that I heard all the way at the other end of the house.  Adam was at the scene a few seconds before me and looked at her head but didn't see anything, so he was hugging her when I got there.  But by the time I looked there was blood running down her face, pooling in her eyes, getting sniffed up her nose, and running into her mouth.  There was so much  blood.  Even though I knew that cuts on the scalp can bleed a lot, it was so frightening.  It took a few minutes before we could even figure out where the wound was because the blood was just everywhere.  I'm not even going to try to get the stains out of the towel we used to stop the bleeding.  That thing is going in the trash.

She's fine.  It was a cut that bled like crazy, but really, nothing much worse than she's had before.  Her skull did its job and protected her brain.  Adam and I both did a pretty good job at not panicking, and doing all the right things.  Not perfect, but not too shabby.  I had an initial moment of fear and panic but I was glad that I quite easily stomped that out and started using my mind.

We had been just about to leave for a party when it happened, and it took a full hour to calm Sam down, assess the damage and clean her up.  We did end up going to the party even though we were very late.  By that time, Sam was fine and we all had a great time.  I had made brownies to bring along, and to help Sam get out of her funk right after the injury, we let her lick the bowl.  A spoonful of chocolate is better than medicine!  Why is this image of her covered in blood, happily eating brownie batter so precious?  I'm not sure, but I love it.

Blood and Chocolate

5 comments:

  1. That picture *is* great! I can imagine her loving it when she's older -- or maybe that's just me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diana, I wondered if anyone else would think it was great, or if it it was just me and Adam. We can't figure out exactly what it is, but we might just love it because it was at that moment that we knew that Sam would be ok, and the relief was sweeter than the chocolate.

    And now she'll have a Harry Potter scar for a while. She'll be the coolest kid in school. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy, that picture is truly amazing! She will love to have it I am sure. A remarkable story...I will remember it if anything like that ever happened to Seby and I will have to fight off my basic tendency to think the worst and basically faint...

    hope to see you guys soon.
    paola

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Paola! Nice to hear from you. Are you seriously telling me that Seby has never gotten bloody? Wow, lucky you! Hope to see you soon too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am seriously telling you...it's unbelievable, I know... especially considering how he jumps off and onto things like a monkey. When I see you next time I'll tell you about the time he jumped off the stroller onto concrete...

    he did, however, stick his finger into a lamp with no bulb...and then went around saying "ouch ouch!" When I asked what had happened, he very innocently told me...I, of course, nearly lost it. I guess the voltage is not as high from that side. When he sees the lamp now, he simply says "ouch!"

    ReplyDelete