Thursday, August 20, 2009

Exercise

Both Adam and I are finally exercising a little bit again.  I'm skeptical that intense, formal exercise is all that important to good health - I mean, the ones who tell us so are the same kind of experts that told us that all fat is bad - but common sense tells me that I should be able to walk up a flight of stairs without getting winded.

Neither Adam nor I are physically active people.  We don't like any sports or activities enough to spend much time on them.  If I had a pool in my back yard, I'd probably swim, but if I have to drive somewhere to do it, it's not going to happen on a regular basis.  When we had a gym in the basement of our high-rise condo building in Chicago, we'd work out regularly.  It was convenient, and I liked being strong.  But joining a gym is expensive and when you have to drive there, a workout can take a couple of hours.  It's just not worth it.  I don't feel guilty about it - it's a choice that I'm comfortable with.

I do like cardio workout classes and yoga, though.  I joined the YMCA when we lived in San Diego and in Lexington because child-care was included and it was very inexpensive.  It was the only way for me to get any time away from Sam, too.  When we got to Northern Virginia, however, I replaced the classes with day care for Sam and physical therapy for my mystery pain.  I haven't started up any kind of regimen since then because I'm a little worried that the exercise itself might have contributed to my pain problems.

I was really starting to feel like a slug, though, so I finally started walking the dog again.  When I was pregnant with Sam, I walked him almost every single day.  It didn't matter that it was the hottest part of the summer when I was eight months along - I still enjoyed it.  Toby really needs to be walked or he becomes a nuisance, so I decided to once again make a point of walking him at every opportunity.  This means twice a week while Sam is at day care, plus maybe once on the weekends while Adam is here to watch Sam.  I can't walk the dog with Sam along.  First, she isn't fast enough.  But more importantly, if I don't have 100% focus on the dog, he is unruly.  The minute he senses that I am not focused on him, he runs and pulls on the leash and makes the walk very unpleasant.  It is a very dangerous situation if another dog comes along, not because Toby would attack the dog, but because he wants to play so badly that he'll pull me to the other dog.  Toby is only 63 pounds - small for a Lab - but he is extremely strong.  A couple of times, I got into really bad situations where Toby was pulling me over and I had Sam in the stroller and I just couldn't hang on to both of them.  It was just awful, and I decided never to do it again.

On the other hand, when I do focus on the dog, I barely need to correct him.  He can sense that if he gets out of line, he'll get a correction (a tug on his leash).  When we get in a rhythm of walking, with him heeling and obeying me, it's a beautiful thing.  When he sees another dog, he needs to be reminded to heel and "leave it," but he's usually just fine.  There's a unique communication between us that seems to be a special dog-human bond.  It's my very favorite part of having a dog.

So at least I'm doing that, and as soon as Sam starts going to school every day, I'm going to try to do it at least four times a week.  I might try to find a yoga class I could attend once a week, too.

For his part, Adam has started riding his bike to the Metro station and riding the train into work.  It's just a mile and a half ride each way but, just like for me, it's a lot more than nothing and it kills two birds with one stone.  And that's the best kind of exercise there is.

10 comments:

  1. Have you tried using a gentle leader when walking the dog? My high school job was working at an SPCA shelter which always had dogs much larger and stronger than me. I was also tiny then, so very easily pulled around by these dogs when taking them for walks - and they were allways super excited since they get to be let out of the kennels! The gentle leader was the only think that could make it possible for me to walk many of the dogs.

    Takes a little getting used to for the dog, but highly reccomended.
    Here's a link for more info: http://www.sinclair-sahc.co.uk/page_info.asp?ContentID=47&CatID=4

    ReplyDelete
  2. [Trying to post this comment, yet again...]

    I love walking/hiking with the dog. Conrad needs about two sessions of intense running around (usually fetching the ball and playing chase in the pasture) for about ten minutes a day, plus a longer hike or walk or run a few times per week. If I do that, he's super-chilled out. If not, he's a major pain. (Conrad is just over 65 pounds, and he can drag me off my feet in an instant, if I'm not braced for it. It's rather alarming!)

    If you're interested, you can easily add some strength training to your walking by doing tabata sets of front squats, burpees, pushups, and the like. You don't need to go anywhere, you don't need any equipment (other than a timer), you don't need special clothes, you need not wear shoes. Best of all, you need only do five to ten minutes per day a few times per week. I've found that the combination of that kind of strength training, plus my walking, keeps me in good enough shape to run nine to ten minute miles on the rare occasions when I run -- exactly what I used to run when I ran regularly.

    [Omitting all three links in an attempt to get this *@&^!#% comment to post.]

    For me, particularly given that we live in a semi-rural area, I'm simply not going to travel to a gym to work out. It's just too much time and trouble.

    I like being in reasonable shape -- particularly when it requires so little time. It enables me to do the daily chores of my life, including running around with Conrad, carrying 50 lb bags of horse feed into the barn, building rock walls in the garden, and so on. (If I wasn't in shape, I'd be in danger of injury.) It also enables me to enjoy the kinds of physically intense vacations that I like: I can hike for six hours, mountain bike for 25 miles, or whatnot -- every day for many days. Plus, I just need some kind of physical activity on a daily basis to clear my head.

    Okay, I've rambled on enough here. Time to get to work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here are a bunch of kick-ass crossfit ladies doing front squats:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4e-dp97Jfc&feature=player_embedded

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG -- It worked! The comment posted. Now let me try to post the links. I can't post all three, so I'm going to try one at a time.

    Here's more on the tabata method:

    http://ezinearticles.com/?Tabata-Anything---Four-Minutes-of-Pain-to-Gain&id=348486

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here's a bunch of "do them wherever with nothing" exercises:

    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/prison-workout/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, WordPress just won't post the link to Mark Daily Apple's post on the Prison Workout. Maybe it thinks that it's unseemly? Anyway, here's a shortened URL. Maybe that will work.

    http://xrl.in/2xob

    Honestly, I feel like I'm doing battle here, and dammit, I WILL NOT SUBMIT TO THE MACHINE!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another vote for the Gentle Leader. It's done wonders for controlling our fearful dog (she weighs 75lbs and is terrified of strangers, loud cars, balloons, trash cans, plastic bags drifting in the wind, and more!).

    As for working out, I highly recommend reading Body By Science by Doug McGuff and John Little. They're big on minimizing risk of injury with short, super-slow lifting sessions (12-20 minutes) with 7-10 days of recovery time in between. The book is an excellent read.

    http://www.amazon.com/Body-Science-Research-Program-Results/dp/0071597174

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the comments, everyone! I'm going to check out all of these ideas, and, Diana, I'm going to review my comment spam settings. Your comment should have gone into a pending review status, not the inter-ether. Thanks for taking the time and trouble to repost!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Travis and I recently started a month long morning "boot camp" program to try to get in shape. It's with a program called Operation Boot Camp that is all over the US if anyone is interested. The first week was brutal but now we're finishing up the second week and I'm starting to enjoy it. It intersperses short(ish) distance runs with things like push-ups, sit-up, crunches, squats, jumping jacks, burpees (which are unbelievably hard), yoga moves, etc - each day is a little different. There is a group of trainers who come to every workout and they're all very encouraging.

    We probably won't do it every month because it's expensive (although cheaper than a personal trainer), but we may do it every few months to keep us going and then do things like what Diana suggested on the months in between.

    I do have to say that unlike with studies on diet, I have read (in fact today) some pretty convincing studies that even moderate exercise like walking (or even cleaning) for 30mins/day decreases risk for breast and colon cancer. I've heard the same is true for heart disease, but I haven't read any of those studies myself, and heart disease can mean many different things.

    I think the more important aspect of exercising, as you and others have mentioned, is that exercising helps you feel strong, healthy, and able to enjoy many different activities in life.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with the "exercise in order to enjoy life" principle. I got sore from riding on a wave runner when we were in Florida. Pretty pathetic. I like the Tabata idea. 4 minutes is really about all I'm willing to invest, and it fits well with my fractured time schedule.

    ReplyDelete