Sunday, August 30, 2009

These Children Aren't My Future

In this little story, Michelle at Scribbit has revealed the true character of many of those magazine-hawking teens who come to your door with their righteous pleas to support them. 
"I'm sorry but I'm not interested."

They tried more pleas and "Come on, we're on our way to a trip to Paris--I bet you've been to Paris already"

"Actually no, I haven't."

"Well we've got more points than anyone else and we're about to win that trip. You don't want to keep us from Paris do you?"

Heaven forbid...

That's a taste, but be sure to read the whole thing - the final exchange will knock your socks off.

I hate those kids.  They prey on your virtues, just like the bums with signs reading, "Will Work for Food."  The bums don't intend to work; they just want you to think they are willing to.  And all the talk from those kids about leadership skills or entrepreneurship training is just that: talk.  They're always selling magazines, and the spiel is designed to make you buy something, not because you want it, but because you respect their work ethic.  Talk about sanction of the victim!

I was fooled once, the first time I was approached with this scam, just like I was fooled once by the plea at the gas station for, "just a dollar for gas to get me home."  In both cases, I only realized my error when I was approached with the same script a second time. 

Michelle rightly identifies the fact that these kids could earn more money in less time with a legitimate job.  Why don't they do it?  Are they mentally lazy?  Are they unable to get a job?  I don't think so.  I think these kids are seeking the unearned.  It's a way for them to affirm a basic premise they hold - that they don't have to follow the rules--meaning reality.  It's the criminal mentality (see Inside the Criminal Mind, by Stanton Samenow for an excellent analysis).  It's interesting that even though on the surface it looks like they are doing real work, door-to-door sales, they know that it is not work.  To them, work is for suckers.  It's not about the money.  It's about getting away with it.

I almost titled this post, "One Step Above Begging," but then I realized - this is not superior to begging in any way.  Begging is at least honest.  This is one step above being a con-artist.

3 comments:

  1. I know I'm going to get a lot of blowback for this post. But please don't tell me that some kids are doing it for good reasons. I'm not saying all kids who do this are criminals. I'm saying some of them, like the one in Michelle's encounter, have this mentality.

    If anyone knows any more about who these kids work for, I'd love to know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It bothers me when my kids' school tries to recruit them to do this to raise money. I've always forbidden it, it just doesn't seem right to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. [...] Mossoff at The Little Things has a post titled “These children are not my future” in which she links to a post at Scribbit. The [...]

    ReplyDelete