Monday, August 3, 2009

A Written Schedule

A couple of weeks ago I bought a whiteboard and wrote up Samantha's Daily Schedule on it.  It goes something like this:

  • 8-8:30  Wake up, try potty, wear underwear

  • 8:30-9:15  Breakfast

  • 9:15-10:30  Free play, mommy shower, get dressed, brush hair

  • 10:30-11  Structured play

  • 11-noon  Free play, errands, chores

  • noon-1pm  Lunch, clean up

  • 1-2:30  Nap

  • 2:30-3  Free play

  • 3-3:30  Snack

  • 3:30-5  Free play, errands, chores, bath

  • 5-5:30  Structured play, try potty

  • 5:30-6:30  Mommy time, make dinner

  • 6:30-7:30 Dinner

  • 7:30-8:30  Play, brush teeth, PJs, clean up

  • 8:30  Bedtime


We don't stick to the schedule too closely.  It's not about the schedule, really - it's about the schedule telling Samantha what to do instead of mommy telling Samantha what to do.  When I first wrote it up, and whenever I change it, I get Sam to agree to it.  Then, when something needs to be done and she's resisting me, I can always say, "Let's go check the schedule and, see if we have time/see what we need to do/make sure we're on track."

I added the "try potty" entries after she decided she liked to wear underwear, but didn't mind peeing on the floor enough to bother trying the potty.  The day after I wrote it down, she started trying again without a struggle.  Now I just need to slowly add more "tries" to the schedule.  The same thing happened with brushing her hair.  I can't believe such a simple trick works, but it does.  Hurray for the schedule!

5 comments:

  1. When our son first understood how to read a digital clock, we found he was happier to take instructions from the clock than from us. So, if we said "we have to go in ten minutes", he would protesting when we came back and said ten minutes were up. However, if we pointed to the clock and said "we have to go in ten minutes, that means when the clock says 10:45", he would be much more willing when the time was up.

    I guess there is something about the clock (or your schedule) that makes the kid realize that this is not simply a parent being whimsical at that particular moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The egg timer has been our friend, too. Something about hearing that beep makes letting go of what Livy is doing easier. Also, if she has input into how many more minutes she needs, she is much more agreeable to stopping her work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sherene SilverbergAugust 4, 2009 at 1:16 PM

    I swear by the written schedule. My kids have a deep seated need to know what they will be doing and in what order. I write the next day's schedule on the white board every evening. School has been so much easier since we've done this.

    I never thought of written schedules when they were 3, but even at that age they had me recite what we were planning on doing each day.

    We also make liberal use of timers. When the kids were about 4, I bought them each their own timers. They set their timers and then have control over that time. It makes them feel very empowered.

    Now that I am broadening their physical boundaries we use the timers to tell them when they've been out too long. When they go to the park we'll agree on how many minutes they can spend there. Once they arrive at the park they set the timer for the agreed amount of time. I know how long it takes to get to the park and back so I know when to expect them. They are very good at sticking to the set times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. [...] work today would include writing on my computer?  I need to do that now.”  Along with the Daily Schedule, I’ve found that this works wonders when seeking [...]

    ReplyDelete
  5. [...] simply writing these things down might help because Sammy loves the written word, and she loves her written schedule.  When I brought home the new whiteboard and magnets I would use for the cooperation chart, she [...]

    ReplyDelete