Monday, August 10, 2009

Work

Thanks to Rational Jenn, we've instituted a new daily ritual in our house.  Every day, Samantha and I talk about what our work will be for the day.  We talk about all the things we plan to do - things like going to the playground, doing laundry, coloring, making dinner, or working on letter sounds.

This serves at least 3 purposes.  First, it get us focused on what goals we have for the day.  This is as important for me as it is for Sam.  I'm a slave to my to-do list and it works for me, but verbalizing the few, most important tasks for the day further refines my goals, especially since there are always too many things on my list for me to possibly get done.  I also always include one important job:  I tell Sam that my work for the day includes helping her to learn to do things by herself.  It's not a very concrete goal, but it's a good reminder for me. 

Second, it can be used as a reminder later in the day:  "Remember that I told you that my work today would include writing on my computer?  I need to do that now."  Along with the Daily Schedule, I've found that this works wonders when seeking cooperation. 

Finally, this is the best way I've found to build for Sam a positive association with the word "work."  For a while there, Sam thought "work" meant "daddy goes away" and it was a sad thing.  We've taken Sam to Adam's office and he has explained to her as best he can what he does at work, but "reading, writing, and teaching" are things he does at home too, so why does he need to go away?  Work still meant something bad.  To help with this, I started consciously using the word more often for tasks like cooking, doing a puzzle, and writing on my blog.  This was helpful, but nothing has transformed Sam's understanding of the word better than using it in the same way every morning.  "What is your work going to be for the day?"

Up until now, Sam's response to the question usually consisted of a blank stare, or maybe something along the lines of, PLAYGWOUND.  Then we took a two week break from the morning ritual while we were on vacation and then getting back into the normal routine.  Finally, the other morning, I asked her the question again.  "Sam, what is your work going to be today?"  She answered: GO TO SCHOOL. PLAY. WEAR UNDERWEAR.  GO ON POTTY.

She gets it!

2 comments:

  1. Hey there--I meant to comment on this earlier and time slipped away from me. Anyway, I'm glad to hear that this is something you find useful! I myself look forward to having our morning discussions, to hearing what everyone is thinking about for each day. You just never know when someone is going to say "I'm going to buy a pickaxe today!"

    Sounds like Sam is a planner, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenn, she's never again been quite as clear as she was that day. But we keep at it. I'm looking foward to the days when she'll surprise me. A pickaxe, hmm? Hilarious.

    ReplyDelete