Thursday, December 11, 2008

Montessori Observations

I've now observed 4 Montessori schools.  The plan is for Samantha to start school next fall, which means I have to decide on a school and register her sometime between January and March.  Unfortunately, I've been at least a little bit disappointed with all the schools I've seen so far.  I've ruled out 2 schools, one of which ended up being too far away and one which was Montessori-lite and charged about 30% more than average to boot. 

Both of the others are acceptable.  They use Montessori materials and set up the classrooms attractively and properly.  The students at both schools acted independently, choosing their own work, focusing, and respecting the other children.  However, neither school has a true 3 hour work cycle.  Between the "occasional" Spanish class, art time, birthday parties, holiday celebrations, circle time, lunch time, and outside time, the time spent on the "work" of the Montessori method is fragmented.  At one school I also felt the classroom was too cramped and cluttered, and at the other, that the teachers were a bit too involved in the childrens' work.  Of course, both schools propagandize the kids with religion and environmentalism, but not to an extent that I would reject them. 

Today I found a school that I'm really excited about.  I'm going to observe the classroom on Monday.  This school actually explains and defends the 3 hour work cycle on its web site.  Pictures of the classrooms bode well.  It has reasonable tuition and no other glaring problems.  I've got a feeling about this one and I can't wait to see it.  It's so exciting to be working on this aspect of Samantha's future!

2 comments:

  1. [...] last Montessori school I visited is going to be our top choice.  I didn’t get that, “this is the one” [...]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    I would like to know what you think of this centre as I also wantto enrol my daughter next term.
    Regards and Thanks

    ReplyDelete