Thursday, December 3, 2009

Chicken Thighs in Red Wine

I can't remember where I got this recipe, but I never cook anything without my own modifications and this appears to have been simplified in a typical Amy way, so I think it's ok for me to post it as my own.

I'm not a big fan of chicken.  Boring!  But this super-easy recipe makes the tastiest chicken I've ever had.  I've made it 3 or 4 times in the past few months, and that's saying something.  (I improvise so much that I have a hard time making anything more than once.)

Ingredients:
1 yellow onion
About 3.5 pounds of chicken thighs, bone in or out (as much as you can fit in the pan)
Salt
Pepper
Garlic powder
Dried parsley flakes
Olive oil
Red wine
Chicken broth

Instructions:

  • Preheat oven to 350.

  • Corsely chop an onion and place at bottom of 9X12 lightly greased baking pan.

  • Coat chicken in salt and pepper, a little garlic, and parsley.  Put on top of onion and drizzle a little olive oil on top.  Bake for 20 minutes.

  • Add ¼ cup red wine and ¼ cup chicken broth to bottom of pan and continue to bake for 40 more minutes.


You can also just cook a few thighs in a pan using the same principle:  brown them in butter and herbs (I used onion powder instead of onion), then add the liquid, cover and cook until done.  Also, you can increase the liquid (within reason) if you like more sauce.

1 comment:

  1. If it aids your tracing of its origin, your recipe is similar to coq au vin (which I myself made last night by sheer coincidence).

    ReplyDelete