Sunday, June 14, 2009

Sammy Says

Samantha is really too young for Simon Says, but she made up a similar game, pretty much on her own, that works well for her age (coming up on 3 now!).

At the dinner table the other night, she slammed both palms down on the table, just in playful way, so I did the same.  She put her hands in her lap.  I did the same.  Then back and forth she went, with me copying her each time.  Adam joined in after a few rounds.  It didn't take long before Sam decided to trick us by hitting the table twice in a row, and we fell for it.  That was a hit, so we kept going, and she got pretty good at fooling us.

Last night we played again, and after Sam's turn, I told her and Adam to copy me.  I added clapping into the mix.  Adam took a turn being It and added in the Macaulay Culkin hands-to-the-cheeks move.

All of this got huge giggles from Sam, and from us grownups as well.  At least one type of humor is the surprise of the unexpected.  All the clown-inspired entertainers for tots seem to go by this principle, pulling bananas from their ears or just falling on the ground for no apparent reason. 

I really enjoyed that Sam was able to surprise us, and that she was able to invent a game like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment