Saturday, June 20, 2009

My Consolation Prize

One thing I get to be happy about after finding out that there is another month of uncertainty ahead of us as we continue on this baby-making journey is that I get to take my sleeping pills for a couple of weeks, while I'm sure I'm not pregnant.

Prior to chucking the birth control pills, I'd been taking Ambien (or the generic, Zolpiderm) for about 6 months pretty much daily.  It was wonderful.  It was so wonderful, in fact, that I was afraid I wouldn't be able to stop taking it when the time came.  I was sure that I was addicted, even though it is supposedly non-habit-forming.  But I did stop, that first month, and although I had some trouble sleeping, it was nothing worse than the same insomnia that drove me to take the pills in the first place.  Maybe it was even less severe than that. 

I get the lowest dosage of this drug that you can get, and I cut the pills in half, and they knock me out like a ... like a ... like a two ton heavy thing.  (Anyone? Anyone?) And before I fall asleep, I get a sense of well being, along with minor hallucinations that amuse me.  That's pretty good shit, doc!

Tonight I took a full pill and now the words are swimming on the screen in front of my eyes, and several rows of type are highlighted in orange (oh, no, it's blue now).  My keyboard appears to be covered in snow. I wouldn't be surprised if I started smelling the fishy scent of the Pacific Ocean any time now.  You couldn't pay me to get in a car and drive right now. 

I took the full dose tonight because I am actually more tired than usual.  Sam has been keeping me up at night.  Well, in the morning.  She is waking up an hour or two earlier than usual, and not napping well either.  It's wreaking havoc on my sleep schedule, because I'm one of those night people.  I just can't get my butt to bed early.  As soon as it gets dark, I'm awake.  And this has been going on for a couple of weeks now, and even after sleeping in until 11am this morning (thanks, hon), I am still a walking zombie.

So every night I've been saying, "I have to get to bed earlier," but now I have my miracle pill that will make it happen.  Still, I took the pill and, instead of getting right in bed, I came downstairs to write this post in an altered state.  Anything, anything to stay awake longer.  It's a curse, I tell you!

And now I must go get a snack and watch a little HGTV, because, of course, I'm all wound up and need to chill a bit before actual sleep arrives.  But at least I know that I'll be asleep the minute I turn off my light, and nothing will wake me.  Not that damn bird that tweets outside my window at 4am, not those crazy sounds I heard last night that sounded like a combination of something breaking the sound barrier, followed by a gunshot, twice, at 3:45am, not my dog puking under the bed, not my daughter waking up at 6, and then after she quiets, the cat meowing at her door to wake her (and therefore, all of us) back up.  And not that strange lady peering at me from inside the closet, oh, but she disappears when I look in her direction. (Serious hallucinations, I tell you!)

Yeah, I'll sleep tonight.  Thanks again Modern Medicine.

3 comments:

  1. This reminds me of the only conversation I overheard that rated sending it to Overheadinnewyork.com (and not just because I heard the conversation while actually in New York):

    Girl: I started taking Ambien.
    Guy: Oh yeah? I took that.
    Girl: Don't you love to fight it? Like when you take it and then you drink coffee and do everything you can not to fall asleep.

    I didn't hear the resolution, since I was just walking by them on the street. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. For sleep without pills, try a Proteus "Light and Sound Machine" by Mind Modulations. Awesome. Basically, the funky lights and sounds kick your brain into a calmer mode and off you go...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Solveig - that sounds interesting. I already have a "sound machine" we used to use for Sam for white noise, and now I'm using it myself. But if we have another child I might have to give it up and get a new one for myself anyway. I'll check it out.

    ReplyDelete