Tuesday, June 23, 2009

A Baby Maybe

For anybody considering becoming a parent, I'd like to recommend this excellent book:  A Baby? Maybe:  A Guide to Making the Most Fateful Decision of Your Life by Elizabeth M. Whelan. 

When Adam and I got married we were both undecided about having children, and I think we both leaned towards the negative.  The first thing that started steering us in the other direction was a vacation we took with our close friends and their 18 month old son.  We spent a week in the Bahamas with them and saw firsthand how they were able to integrate their child into their lives and continue to do fun, adventurous things, even if it did mean lugging around a lot more stuff.  We thought to ourselves, "We could do that."

Then, a friend of Adam's recommended this book to us.  He picked up a copy and we read it together (back in the days when we had time for him to read out loud to me ;) ).  I don't remember it too clearly, but the book was mostly a series of interviews the author conducted, asking people about which choice they made, why, and whether they had any regrets.  Adam and I came away with three new and life-changing ideas about this decision:

1)  The decision to become a parent is unique - unlike any other you will make in your life - and so it must be approached slightly differently.  There are two things that make it unique.  First, you are creating a new human being with free will, so you have much less control over the outcome than with other choices.  You never have perfect information, but in this case, you will always have doubts and confusion because you have no ultimate control over what your child will be.  You can't make a pro-and-con list.  You will never feel like you've analyzed the options and know what to expect.  You cannot really know what to expect.

2)  The second thing that makes this decision unique is that it is irrevocable.  Most choices you make in life can be reversed.  Sometimes there is a lot of pain involved, but you can say, "I made a mistake.  I'm going to go back and fix it."  When you have a child, you can never change the fact that you are a parent.  Even in the worst cases where you might give the child up for adoption, the fact that you created a human being is going to alter your life forever.  But, more likely, you will spend the rest of your life as an active parent and there is nothing you can do to change that.

3)  The regret principle applies.  In the interviews in the book, the people with the most regrets were the ones who defaulted into a choice, whether it was to have children or not to have children.  That included people who had kids because it was "the thing to do" after they got married, and people who never had kids because they just never got around to it or couldn't make up their minds.  This taught us that we needed to make a conscious decision one way or another.

Once we recognized these three principles, we both knew we wanted to have a child.  It was strange how it became so obvious after these revelations.  I think we both had been in the "wait and see" mode, figuring that we'd know if and when the time was right.  The third point really woke us up.

The book is out of print, but you can find used copies at Amazon.  The thing that prompted me to write about it is that I recently heard Leonard Peikoff recommend the very same book on his podcast.  (Unfortunately, I didn't write down which podcast it was.)  The person who told us about the book was not an Objectivist, so I was quite shocked and pleased to hear that Dr. Peikoff also recommended it.

A Baby? Maybe is not a book that will convince you to have children.  It is a guide to how to approach the whole issue.  It gives you a framework for your thinking.  And it uses an inductive approach by starting with real people and their decisions, and using those facts to come up with some general principles.

9 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you wrote this post. My husband and I are struggling to make a decision about having a second child. Thanks for recommending this resource!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PP: The book specifically addresses the question of having subsequent children too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for recommending this! I'm getting married in just three week (ack!) and it will be on my list, perhaps in the next year or two. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. [...] friend Jackson spent this past weekend with us.  He’s the (now 7-year-old) boy who helped inspire us to have a child ourselves.  This time he’s helping us understand what it will be like with [...]

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just bought it. Can't wait to read it. Thanks so much for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  6. [...] and I thought very carefully before we decided to have a child.  I’ve already written about how we originally didn’t think we wanted a child at all, and how we ended up changing [...]

    ReplyDelete
  7. WHOA - Yes, I had the book back in 1982 - don't know what happened to it, but it was invaluable in that it TAUGHT me HOW to enhance the odds of conceiving, the whole "can I can conceive a boy or girl by choice" and the odds. So it is FAR more than interviews! Did you even READ all the chapters? Did you see the photos of MALE producing sperm, which can be seen by black light, and the female producing sperm that can not be seen that way? One has triangular heads, the other has round... the PROBABILITY that males are favored to SURVIVE in an alkaline environment (2 tablespoons or baking soda to 1 quart of water in a douche) and females are favored to survive the VINEGAR environment (same ratio, with vinegar instead of baking soda). It tells how the Japanese Emperor Hirohito had his wife conceive a male heir with the "baby boy baking soda" theory... it tells also how, athough this raises the most effective environment for conceiving one or the other, that the one thing that has never been tested is whether or not the MAN actually produces more of one type of sex oriented sperm than the other. It FULLY explains the basal body temperature taking element - how a woman can't just KNOW if it is the time in the MIDDLE OF THE DAY, but that her temp must be taken before she even raises out of bed to use the bathroom, or take a drink of water. I know this, because I tested myself. I wrote down my temps I got by sticking the thermometer in my mouth at the crack of light through my eyelids. The temps read like this: 92.3 - 93.1 - 94.1 - 92.1 - and at one point went as "high" as: 96.2 - but if I moved out of bed, the temps were IMMEDIATELY 98.6, and I could NOT tell what the actual basal temp of my body was. When I grafted it out after 3 months, I could see the spike, which stayed up for an entire week- then a drop, followed immediately by my period. This is all explained, and takes up far more of the book than the "do you really want a baby" interviews. Yes, she puts that in I am sure to side step the urgency to use the formula for boy or girl making, and it does make you think about the CHOICE of getting pregnant, BUT - the scientific part of conceiving is MOST of the book! You should re-read this..... I no longer have the book, but I remember it clearly more than 30 years later, with a son and daughter to boot!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello crazy person. Different book.

    ReplyDelete