Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Adventure Box

The Mossoffs are a young family (although the individuals composing it are not so young), and until now we've been a bit unsettled, but we've managed to start at least one family tradition that I think will stick.  I call it the Adventure Box.  Every year at Christmas time, we decorate a shoe box in gift wrap and put it on a shelf that is easy to access.  Throughout the year, we put mementos from trips, special occasions, along with all the greeting cards we receive, into the box.  Next Christmas, we go through the box and label each item so that we won't forget what it meant.  Then we write the year on the box and put it away and start a new one.

It's a simple idea, but we love doing it.  It gives us a place to put all of those things that you don't want to throw away, but which have no "home."   And we don't stress out about getting a souvenir from every single place we go, but having the Adventure Box in mind gives us something to think about when we're at a new place, and helps to tie all those experiences together.  Going through the box is a great way to wrap up the year, and every single time, we're surprised at how many fun things we did.

This year, we didn't get to the adventure box until May.  We've never been so tardy, but moving for the fourth time right before Christmas made it difficult.  Here are some of the things we found in the 2008 box:

  • A matchbook from the restaurant in New Orleans where we had our wedding reception - Adam went there on business last year and picked it up for me as a little reminder

  • Maps of Disneyworld

  • A homemade Halloween greeting card from my parents to Samantha

  • A ticket stub from the park where we celebrated Samantha's second birthday with Adam's parents

  • My personal favorite: a lollipop wrapper from the candy dish on the desk of Clarence Thomas, whose office I got to see on a private tour (but no, I didn't get to meet him)


Where else would you keep all of these precious things?  I used to stick them in a file, but it would get full and I'd throw them away after a while.  Even if you stick them in a box, the labeling is critical.  We found that we'd almost forgotten a few things by May.

I think family traditions are important.  A tradition is a concretization of your family's culture.  It should reflect a value or attitude that is important in your family.  If it does, it will become a fixture in your psyche that shapes who you are.  Adam brought the spirit of the Adventure Box into our family with his personal edict of, "No Regrets."  When he is faced with a decision that involves some risk or maybe a lot of effort for an unknown payoff, he thinks about which decision he might regret ten years down the line, and makes the opposite choice.  We try not to let opportunities to experience the new pass us by, and to live life based on love of values, not fear of failure.  The Adventure Box represents this attitude perfectly, and so it has deep meaning for us.

7 comments:

  1. > "When he is faced with a decision that involves some risk or maybe a lot of effort for an unknown payoff, he thinks about which decision he might regret ten years down the line, and makes the opposite choice."

    The ultimate form of this is the deathbed test. Even after careful analysis, if I am undecided about a major change (a move to a different city; a career switch; the next major project; etc.), I imagine myself resting peacefully on my deathbed, knowing I am coming to the end, and looking back over a long life. Am I glad that I attempted X, even if I didn't succeed?

    That is how I decided to retire early. I knew it would be risky, but it would give me full time to pursue the central purpose in life that I love, one that wouldn't pay financially but was enormously satisfying to me and offered a chance at happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Burgess, yes, I think I pulled 10 years out of my hat, or maybe Adam does use that timeframe, but the principle is the same. I'm glad to be reminded of your analysis of CPL. I'm getting closer to identifying my own lately.

    This isn't specific to Burgess' point, but I also wanted to note here that the "no regrets" policy does not always mean that one takes the risky action. Adam and I had the opportunity to spend the summer in Italy last year. We've always wanted to go and it would have cost us almost nothing. But we turned it down. We turned it down because the stress of moving around even more than we had was just too much. We (well, I) could not have enjoyed it. I'm working on improving my tolerance for chaos, but in the meantime, I have to accept the fact that I have limits. It also would have put our plans to buy a house at risk. Finally, we know that we're likely to have similar opportunities in the future. So far, I don't regret that decision at all. If I never get to Italy, I might feel differently, but I have no reason to think that I won't get there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea! It's just too perfect! I only wish that I'd heard about / thought of it sooner. But I suppose that now is a good enough time to start, given that I'm starting something of a new life these days...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also think this is a great idea. I've been keeping mementoes of our adventures in labelled 3 ring binders, but they tend to get bulky. An adventure box per year for all the little things sounds just about right.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Travis and I are going to start doing this too! It's perfect for all of the paraphernalia that we collected when we crossed Siberia last year, which is currently sitting on a bookcase in a messy pile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Diana - Can't wait to hear what's in store for you now. Congratulations on finishing your dissertation!

    LB - You're on a roll lately. I almost missed the double reference. :)

    Colleen - Oooo, I'd love to see that stuff. You'll have fun going through it all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. [...] completed our 2010 Adventure Box.  2010 was not a great year for us.  I guess the best part was that Adam got tenure.  OCON was [...]

    ReplyDelete