Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Beware of Twitter!

Did you know that Tweeting can make you immoral?  It's true, say some scientists.  Here are some excellent points that you just can't dispute:
...[R]apid-fire news updates and instant social interaction are too fast for the 'moral compass' of the brain to process.

...[H]eavy Twitters and Facebook users could become 'indifferent to human suffering'.

Celebrities of all types - from rugby players to chefs to pop stars - are becoming hooked on the instant updates [and we know celebs are BAD].

'Lasting compassion in relationship to psychological suffering requires a level of persistent, emotional attention.'

I feel really bad when I see roadkill.  Does that make me moral?  Sometimes I spend minutes upon minutes thinking about the suffering of everyone who ever watched a Michael Moore documentary.  I must be really good.  But those kids today - they're just moving too darn fast.  I know cuz I have that science stuff to back me up:
The study used compelling, real-life stories to induce admiration for virtue or skill, or compassion for physical or social pain, in 13 volunteers.

 

2 comments:

  1. This explains why I've just started punching people in the neck on the subway for looking at me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And why I've begun saying nasty things about Flibby to the dog.

    ReplyDelete