Tuesday, April 7, 2009

One of Those Days

Sam and I gave up on trying to see the cherry blossoms on Sunday because the Metro station was so crowded I didn't want to deal with it.  (I heard later that I was right - it was unbearably crowded in DC on Sunday and people were waiting for trains for a long time.)  We have tons of time on the weekdays, so I decided to try again today.  It's very cold and windy today, but at least there was no rain in the forecast.  The bloom period is almost over, so it was today or never.

The parking lot at the Metro station was full.

I decided to drive in and take our chances on finding parking.  I don't mind driving, and I get to listen to Leonard Peikoff's podcasts in the car. (Sam loves the word Peikoff.  Every time he says his name she repeats it in her cutsey voice:  PEIKOFF PEIKOFF PEIKOFF.)

Not only was there no parking, but I couldn't even figure out how to get around with all the closed off streets.  I ended up going about 10 miles north of where I wanted to be because I could not find a place to turn around or pull over.  Sam had fallen asleep so it wasn't so bad, but still, what a waste.  This might end up being one of those DC things I never see, just like I never saw the Mackinac (pronounced "mack-i-naw") Bridge while we lived in Michigan, even though it was number one on my to-see list.

We drove back to our burb and I decided to take Sam out to lunch so we'd have something to show for our long journey.  I did get a good Rueben, but the deli was so crowded that I ended up with a headache and some anxiety.  I had had enough of crowds already!  While we were in the deli, I think I saw a few snowflakes falling outside.  Now that just made me mad. 

When we got home, I found a notice on my door that my water had been turned off, and indeed it had.   Apparently, my sewer bill comes from the county and my water bill comes from the city - not the city I live in, but another one.  I paid the quarterly sewer bill and assumed it covered both like it did at our old house just down the road, but apparently, the city that we don't live in had sent a bill in January, and then two notices in February and March - to the wrong address.  They were able to find me to turn off the water, but apparently, didn't have my correct address to send me a bill.

I was able to convince them to remove the $50 fee and to pay by credit card over the phone.  My water should be back on by 5pm.  Lucky me.

I'm temped to just hole up here at home but it's too depressing, so we're going to the library.  If I can pull a good day out of this one, I'll be very proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment