Thursday, January 6, 2011

Objectivist Round Up

Happy New Year, and welcome to the January 6, 2011 edition of the Objectivist Round Up!  We have nineteen posts for you today in this first edition of 2011.  At least two are from new contributors, which is a wonderful thing.

To warm yourself up, consider this quote from Ayn Rand, reprinted here simply because I like it:
Civilization is the progress toward a society of privacy. The savage’s whole existence is public, ruled by the laws of his tribe. Civilization is the process of setting man free from men.

--Ayn Rand, The Soul of an Individualist, For the New Intellectual, 84.

And now, on with the Round Up:

Roderick Fitts presents Reduction of Objectivity (Aristotle) posted at Inductive Quest, saying, "A post reducing how Aristotle would have reached his idea objectivity, of a method designed to reach knowledge by adhering to reality. Enjoy!"

Roderick Fitts presents Induction of Objectivity (Aristotle) posted at Inductive Quest, saying, "A presentation of how Aristotle might have induce his system of logic, and view of objectivity. I learn to appreciate Aristotle a lot after working this induction, and I hope you do too!"

Kate Yoak presents Speaking freely posted at Parenting is..., saying, "Lessons I learned from other objectivist on the value of speaking my views - and teaching my kids to do the same."

Hanah presents The Little Engine That Could posted at Charlie's Bookshelf, saying, "I'm excited to join the carnival with my brand-new blog on the very specialized topic of children's book reviews from an Objectivist perspective."

Rachel Miner presents Finding Objectivism posted at The Playful Spirit, saying, "From a program designed to train me as a young, Jewish leader to the streets of Jerusalem to Poland's concentration camps... I decided to finally write the story of how I found Objectivism."

Stella presents My silence on Avastin posted at ReasonPharm, saying, "ReasonPharm readers should know why I've kept silent on an important issue -- because my silence has implications."

Diana Hsieh presents My Year in Review posted at NoodleFood, saying, "I accomplished more than I realized in 2010, despite a dismal start to the year."

John Drake presents Emotions and Self-discipline posted at Try Reason!, saying, "A short post about the relationship between emotions and self-discipline."

Paul Hsieh presents Hsieh PJM OpEd: "Will the GOP Walk the Walk On The Constitution?" posted at We Stand FIRM, saying, "In my latest PJM OpEd, I tell the GOP that it's not enough to just pay lip service to the Constitution. They must also defending with deeds the principles of individual rights and limited government."

Rational Jenn presents Mythbusting: Positive Discipline posted at Rational Jenn, saying, "In this post, I tackle a few of the more common objections I've heard to Positive Discipline/non-punitive discipline."

Ari Armstrong presents My Interview with Sam Adams Alliance posted at Free Colorado, saying, "I discuss Ayn Rand, Harry Potter, and free market activism in my recent interview with the Sam Adams Alliance."

David C Lewis, RFA presents Should Financial Advisers Be Licensed? posted at A Revolution In Financial Planning, saying, "Should licensing be required for financial advisers? Does it help or hurt advisers and clients? In this post, I argue that licensing violates individual rights and does not ensure a better quality of service."

Thomas Hochmann presents Blank Check for the "Less Fortunate" posted at The Objectivist Voice, saying, "We call racism evil, because it pre-judges an individual based on genetic qualities beyond his control. Yet there is apparently nothing evil with pre-judging people who are born “fortunate” with good health or a good family, or the like."

Kelly Elmore presents My Accomplishments 2010 posted at Reepicheep's Coracle, saying, "I like the idea of looking back over the things I accomplished in 2010, so here it is. Plus, I like that Oists don't mind bragging. :) I am hoping to write a post about what I am hoping and striving for in 2011 to follow this one."

Morgan Polotan presents Raw Milk Fans Should Read Ayn Rand posted at Morgan Polotan's Blog, saying, "This is my first time submitting to the Objectivist Roundup, and I'm excited to make this a consistent weekly habit!"

Jared Rhoads presents Twead #7: Cynthia Koelker posted at The Lucidicus Project, saying, "Notes and highlights from Cynthia Koelker's new book, "101 Ways to Save Money on Health Care.""

Martin Lindeskog presents 100 VOICES BY SCOTT MCCONNELL posted at EGO, saying, "I have read the first interview (Eleanora Drobysheva) in Scott McConnell's book, 100 Voices: An Oral History of Ayn Rand."

Michael Labeit presents Defending "Draft Dodging" posted at Michael Labeit at EconomicPolicyJournal.com.

Jim Woods presents Statism Advocacy Organizations posted at Words by Woods, saying, "When NGOs and civil society organizations advocate intrusive government regulation of individuals' lives and accept public funding, are they still nongovernmental?"

That concludes this edition. Submit your blog article to the next edition of the Objectivist Round Up using our carnival submission form. Past posts and future hosts can be found on our blog carnival index page.

3 comments:

  1. Man, I really should've line edited my comments on my blog posts. It sounds like broken English when I read it now.

    Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. [...] week’s Objectivist Round Up was hosted by Amy Mossoff at her blog, The Little Things. I am happy to announce that my recent [...]

    ReplyDelete