Thursday, November 12, 2009

Technology

Three Good Things for the day:

  1. Talked to my parents over Skype using the new webcam (thanks KEPI!) and convinced them to buy one of their own so we can have more video calls with Sammy.

  2. Convinced Adam to go with the Verizon Droid and give up on the iPhone.  We're finally getting smart phones!

  3. Christmas is coming fast and I'm doing serious research on digital pianos.  I keep getting tempted by the acoustics - I know that I'll want one eventually - but the idea of playing with headphones and not having to tune the piano is just too seductive.  I'm sticking with digital - for now.

4 comments:

  1. We make good use of Skype. It's a great way for granchildren to keep in touch with their grandparents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! You mentioned it before and I must say that all grandparents should be required to take a class in webcams. Luckily, our parents are pretty good about that stuff and I foresee a much closer relationship between them and our children than I had with my grandparents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How much do you play? Do(es) your kid(s) play or will they? Some thoughts from a 30 -year veteran teacher. You've probably already thought about space and location issues. If location and space are major issues (piano must be in the room where the TV is) then the earphones are a must. Same thing if hours of your kids' practice drive everyone up the wall. Also, if space in general is a problem, an electronic will serve you well. BUT, there is nothing like the feel of playing or the touch or the sound of an acoustic piano. and that doesn't mention the aesthetic pleasure of it's rounded shape. And if the kids are going to learn they will learn on something that is not constantly tempting them away from the discipline at a good teacher will expect, with it's bells and whistles. I'd say that 3/4ths of the initial fascination that children have for the piano is that they can make a sound easily. Having more sounds available is not a good thing at the beginning. Good luck on finding just the right thing for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tom - Arg! We do have the space and no competing noises (like TV). And I'm worried that I won't be able to put the "touch" into the digital. I don't know how much Sammy will play. She's only 3. I hope to play regularly, but not a lot. Arg again! You're making me reconsider.

    ReplyDelete