Monday, November 23, 2009

A Little Thing

In the car, Sammy likes to have her window rolled down and to hold a napkin in the wind.  I guess she likes to watch how it moves or the feel of it pulling out of her hand.  She was doing this the other day, when I heard her say, IT BLEW AWAY!  MY NAPKIN BLEW AWAY.  I WANT IT BACK, MOMMY! 

I said, "I'm sorry but I can't get it for you.  It's way behind us now and we can't go back to get it." 

She said, WHEN I GET BIGGER I LEARN TO FLY AND I GO AND GET MY NAPKIN.

After I recovered from the killer cuteness, I said, "That is a wonderful thought, Sammy. It's a great idea, but I'm sorry to say that even when you are bigger, you won't be able to fly.  People can't fly like birds.  That's why we build machines like airplanes.  But we can't fly."

She said, I CAN TRY, MOMMY.

2 comments:

  1. When I started reading your explanation to Sammy that even in the future that she will not be able to fly, I got that sinking feeling I get sometimes when listening to my friends "over explain" or "over intellectualize" simple details to their young kids. I do not know if my sinking feeling is valid or not, but I can say that what you said to Sammy does not qualify.

    Your line, "[t]hat’s why we build machines like airplanes" is pure gold. Simple, succinct, and one of thousands of nuggets parents can drop that teach the kids how to focus on reality...how to think.

    I have no idea if I would enjoy having my own kids, but no subject is more fascinating than child raising. Thanks for blogging on your experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  2. [...] had such a good comment on my last Little Thing about Sammy wanting to learn to fly that I decided that his comment and my response warranted a [...]

    ReplyDelete