Thursday, November 26, 2009

A Classic American Dish

You've got to love a recipe that starts out like this:
A classic American dish, this preparation takes full advantage of every delicious bit of the lobster.

Kill with a knife, [see page] 491,
     3 lobsters (1 1/2 pounds each)
When they are still, separate the tail and ...  

From Joy of Cooking
recipe for Lobster Newburg

On page 491, it does indeed tell you exactly how to kill a lobster by stabbing it in the neck.  It even gives you this handy tip:
[After stabbing the lobster], to avoid muscular contractions, you can put the lobster in the freezer for a few minutes until it is still.

And no, I haven't tried it yet.  Maybe next Thanksgiving...

2 comments:

  1. My dad used to throw live lobsters into a pot of boiling water. They'd go in bluish-gray (and wiggling) and come out bright red (and not wiggling).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that's the only way I've ever known to deal with lobsters. I had never heard of killing them with a knife first! I've done the boiling water and that's emotionally traumatic enough for me.

    ReplyDelete