Thursday, October 8, 2009

Mysteries

Since we had Sammy, I've been running a lot more plastic through the dishwasher.  It seems obvious now, but I couldn't figure out why the ceramic and glass would come out dry and the plastic would always be wet.  Answer:  Ceramic and glass are better heat conductors and therefore stay hot longer and get drier than plastic.  Duh!

Since that mystery was solved, here's another one.  Why doesn't anybody make a lightweight children's step stool taller than a measly 8 inches?  We have stools all over the house, but have yet to figure out a good solution for the bathroom sinks.  Right now, this is what we have to deal with in our tiny powder room:

Attempt to make it child-friendly

If you look closely, you can see that the stool blocks almost half the doorway.  It is a tiny space and I can't imagine keeping it like this as long as Sammy needs a stool.  She has to stand on the 2nd step and she can just barely reach the handles to turn on the water.  She cannot reach the soap because of that completely non-functional sink.  (For the life of me, I cannot understand why anybody would ever buy a pedestal sink.  There is no storage and no countertop space.  But that's another mystery altogether.)

Anyway, this is a mystery I haven't been able to solve.  Any ideas out there?

9 comments:

  1. Maybe you could use an upside down heavy duty plastic bucket. They sell them in Home Depot. They are brilliant orange in color. Skype me and I will show you ours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooo, that's a good idea, Jack. I don't need a picture. I know the ones you mean. I think they have different sizes and cost about a buck. I wonder if Sammy could get up on one that is high enough, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Necessity is the mother of invention (if you ever come across any spare time, that is). :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. IKEA has a wooden stool that's taller than that. My kids love it when helping with cooking because they can practically reach the cabinets on it. Wal-Mart has a stool that I'd also recommend. We've had each of these going on three years with three different kids and they've held up brilliantly. (Gosh, I don't remember these being that expensive but maybe they were.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also, we bought two of these little stools for the bathrooms. They're small but our kids are pretty tall so these are sufficient to reach the sink. (Looks like IKEA makes a bigger version that might be suitable.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bill - I wish I had posed this question months ago. I need to remember to look for anything and everything at Ikea. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't understand the explanation for why ceramic stuff comes out drier than plastic stuff. If the ceramic is a better conductor of heat, wouldn't that mean it would cool off *faster* than plastic stuff (which, being more of a thermal insulator, would conduct its excess heat to the surroundings more slowly)? I buy that stuff that stays hotter longer will turn out drier -- I just don't see why you think stuff which conducts heat better will stay hotter longer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Travis, I guess I should have said the ceramic and glass have a higher heat capacity. Geez, it's only been 4 years since I took thermodynamics and I've forgotten everything.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We use this 9 inch stool in our bathroom. Alli (5) can unfold on her own, Ashley (3.5) finds it troublesome and potentially pinchy.

    ReplyDelete