Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The M Word

I had an ultrasound today.  There is no heartbeat.  The fetus stopped developing a couple of weeks ago.  I had a miscarriage.  On Friday I'll have a D&C.  I'll write more about that later.

It's ok.  I mean, it's horrible, but I'll be ok.  This is nothing like losing a 24 week pregnancy.  When that happened, I really resented people who equated my experience with a miscarriage, but I wasn't sure if my feelings were just, because I had never experienced a miscarriage.  Well, I was right.  This is hard, but I don't feel like I've lost a baby.  We didn't know the sex yet, we had never heard the heartbeat or seen the baby on ultrasound, and we hadn't bought anything for the baby.  My belly hadn't grown.  I hadn't felt the baby move.  We hadn't bonded with it.  We don't have a huge context to disintegrate.  We just have to start over.

I do have one similar feeling:  the feeling that I have lost time.  When our first child was stillborn, I felt like I had lost a year of my life.  We had spent 4 months getting pregnant, 5+ months being pregnant, and then we had to wait 3 more months before we could try again.  I'm sure I'll be told that we should wait 3 months again, but I might not heed that advice.  I started planning and thinking about it within 10 minutes of finding out, and Adam agrees: We're getting right back on that horse!

I'm also thinking about the things that will be easier.  We have some travel plans that will be much easier now.  Next time, I'll be better prepared with the right drugs for my psoriasis, which has gotten totally out of control since I had to suddenly stop my medication.  Well, that's about all the positive stuff I can think of right now.  As for the negative, I think the thing that bothers me the most is that when we do have SS, there will be that much more of a gap between our children's ages.  That, and the fact that, the older I get, the less likely we are to successfully have a child at all.  But, at least right now, I'm not feeling as stressed out about that as I was when we first decided to try for another child.  For some reason, I was really afraid that we wouldn't be able to conceive at all.  A miscarriage is almost par for the course at my age, so I don't feel like this doesn't bode well for the future.  We might have another miscarriage, but we're still fertile, and we've had one healthy child, so there is no reason to leap to worries about ultimate failure.

And that is one of the reasons I decided to announce my pregnancy to the whole world immediately.  I knew this could happen, and if it did, I wanted people to know.  I can't tell you how shocked I was after our first, failed pregnancy, to find out how common miscarriages, infertility, stillbirths, and other problems really are.  Once you are a part of "the club," the stories come out of the woodwork.  Miscarriage is common enough that I would call it normal.  If you don't know how common it is and you have one, you will not have the right perspective, and you might become afraid.  It might seem like there is something wrong with you, or that you did something wrong like eating the wrong food or exercising too much.  Many women even feel ashamed, since it is just never, ever talked about (except in those internet chat rooms, and you should not go there--trust me).  I don't want women to have to go through that.  I mean, I hate thinking about all the pity people will feel for me, and even the sympathy.  I hate to cause other people those negative feelings and I hate to be the object of them.  I could have spared all of us that by just keeping my mouth shut.  But now that this has happened, I can confirm what my gut told me in the first place:  We need to stop hiding early pregnancy and miscarriages.  It's one thing to learn the miscarriage rate as an abstraction.  It's another to know that 5 out of your 6 best friends have had miscarriages, fertility problems, or a stillbirth. 

I've only known that I miscarried for about 8 hours now, and I've had to tell 5 people.  Telling people is difficult and painful (although writing this blog post is cathartic).  I understand the desire not to have to go through that.  But I think that telling people is an important part of facing up to what happened.  I can't imagine having been pregnant this whole time, losing the baby, and having the whole thing be invisible to all of my friends and family.  I think it would prolong the pain.  I don't mean that I want to "share" the pain, like spreading it out would lessen it or something.  I just don't like keeping secrets from people who are close to me.  (And once you tell those people, the cat is out of the bag and you might as well tell everyone.)  It's important to note that I absolutely do not think that it is dishonest to keep an early pregnancy a secret--it is nobody's business but the parents' and there are plenty of situations where it is rational to keep it hidden.  What I'm saying is that this default practice of waiting 3 months to announce a pregnancy does not do anybody any good.  Ignorance is not bliss.

I'll write more about this in the days to come, but now I have to go have a good cry.

13 comments:

  1. You rock, Amy. Very admiring of that wonderful benevolent worldview you're sporting.

    Thanks for sharing this so soon. Thinking about you, A, & S very fondly.

    Jon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing such a reality focused personal account. I am certain that your open honesty would be helpful to others in a similar situation.

    I hope that your virtue will be rewarded with success as your process continues.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy, I'm a colleague of Adam's. If there is ANYTHING, anything at all, that my wife Cynthia or I can do to help you guys in any way, just reach out.

    I so admire your strength, and feel sure that you two will again be blessed with a child.

    Best regards,
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy,
    Thanks for sharing and I'm sorry to hear the news. I hope you have great luck in the future and hang in there!
    Gaia

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry to hear the news. I totally agree with you about secrecy and early miscarriage, though when I had mine (2 miscarriages, 3 living kids) I kept them secret. It's silly for women to be unaware of just how common it is.

    After each of my miscarriages, we began to try again immediately, and my first child was conceived on the very next cycle (he's 6 now). I know anecdotes are not data, but I've never seen any real evidence that waiting is biologically necessary. Good luck with the next step.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You do rock, Amy. I really appreciate your being so candid about this issue. It has certainly given me a new perspective.

    Also, for me, I think that the worst part about some tragedy or misfortune is telling people about it -- again and again, enduring showers of pity and questions with too-complex answers. Sometimes, I think that a formal PowerPoint presentation -- with a Q&A afterward -- would be less painful than some of what I've experienced on that score.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for writing this, Amy. As you know, we had a miscarriage before Thomas at 11 weeks. I think you're doing a great service by talking about "the M word" - feeling alone or like it might be your fault is terrible, and the culture of "don't tell until you're out of the woods" ultimately isolates women, from my perspective.

    And as for trying again, our doc said waiting a month was fine, especially with an early miscarriage like this. My body, like yours, hadn't really changed yet and I think that minimizes the reason to wait to get back to normal before trying again.

    We ended up having a burial service for our baby, which was very healing for us. It was nice to have somewhere to visit to think, pray, and cry on the anniversary date. I'll keep you all in my prayers, for now and for another baby soon. (And don't worry about your sorrow being a burden somehow for others - it's a privilege to help support each other.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amy, I am always inspired by your positive outlook and by how consistently you integrate your values and principles into your everyday life. It can be so difficult to maintain a rational mindset and keep events like these within their proper context in a time of emotional distress, but you make it look easy. I really admire you for it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amy, I can't say it any better than Tori did. Thank you for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, everyone. I'm glad to hear that not everyone waits the 3 months to try again. I'll ask the doctor if there is any real reason to wait. And Diana, isn't a blog just as good as Power Point? :)

    I've gotten some good comments about accepting sympathy and it's given me something to think about. I might just learn something from this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amy, thanks for such a brave and true post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post! I wish I'd know you back in my procreative days! We could have done a fair bit 'o commiserating. I had two "M's" and it only comes up anymore when I need to fill out a medical history. It was not fun at all at the time - I think the only consolation was that I was able to have wine at dinner again... The thing was - I was totally surprised, which just demonstrates how poorly women continue to be advised about reproductive issues (or how much in denial we all are).

    Allison Hayward (GMU Law with Adam)

    ReplyDelete