Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Good Things

The one bad thing that has happened to me lately came at an opportune time.  This is a time when a lot of really great things are happening for me and my family.  It's easier to cope with a loss when you have all sorts of good things going on.  I'll write more about some of the specific things as time goes on.  There are a couple of whoppers!

Before the miscarriage, I had been thinking a lot about how lucky I am.  Well, I shouldn't say "lucky," but that is part of it.  I suppose I was reflecting on how well things are going for me.  I have a great marriage, a wonderful daughter whom I get to care for full time, we're all healthy, we don't have a house on the market, and there are many great things to look forward to in our future.  Sadly, the reason I was thinking along these lines is that a lot of my friends are going through very difficult times right now: divorce, cancer, you name it.  Before the miscarriage, I actually thought to myself that I'd be really lucky if nothing went wrong with the pregnancy.  (For anyone who thinks there is something mystical about my insight, I have news for you: this is called coincidence.)

The miscarriage has just reinforced this awareness of the good things that surround me.  I simply can't feel sorry for myself.  Above and beyond the values that I have earned for myself, I've also just led a fairly lucky life.  I've had a bit more of the bad luck lately, with the two lost pregnancies, but besides that and the divorce from my first husband (I'll have to write about that some day), I haven't really had many "trials" in my life.  I have friends who were abused as children, or their parents divorced, or there was a lot of death surrounding them.  In contrast, I feel like I've almost lived a sheltered life.

But in order to focus on the good, and not just the lack of bad, I'm going to reinstate my Three Good Things series here on the blog.  It feels like the right time.  To kick it off, here are Three Good Things for the day:

  1. Today is just about the most beautiful fall day imaginable, with bright sunshine, a cool breeze, and colors galore.

  2. I'm going to a wedding this weekend and I found a suitable dress in my closet--and it fits!

  3. Sammy is now old enough that I can hand her the phone while driving, she can have a brief conversation with her dad, and then hand the phone back to me.  I marvel at Little Accomplishments like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment