Monday, September 28, 2009

Prenatal Visit #1

I had my first prenatal doctor’s appointment last week.  I was pretty excited about it, and had hoped that it would kick-start the feeling that this pregnancy is for real, and that there actually is a baby coming.  I guess I still have mental scars from my first pregnancy, because I’m having a hard time getting excited.  Unfortunately, the appointment was nothing at all like my prenatal visits at the birth center where I gave birth to Sammy.  It was just another doctor’s visit.  They took my blood to confirm the pregnancy, which is totally unnecessary.  They didn’t even do a urine test (because, I suppose, they don’t really believe that I’m pregnant yet.)  The doctor was completely unhelpful in discussing the first trimester diagnostic tests that I should have.  Since I have an unusual history, I was hoping for some advice on whether to do the standard NT/blood test screening, or go straight to CVS or amniocentesis.  The doctor didn’t even give me any statistics on accuracy or risk, and basically said, “It’s up to you.”  Gee, thanks.  She didn’t even calculate my due date.  Sure, I’ve already done this myself, but isn’t that one of the fun parts? (Officially, my due date is May 16, but I’m holding out hope that this baby will come just a bit early like Sammy did, so I’m saying early May.)

I’ve met 2 of the 3 doctors in this practice now, and I didn’t particularly like either of them.  They have 2 midwives in the practice, though, which is why I chose this place.  I’m holding out hope that I’ll like one of them better.  I can pick my preferred doctor/midwife for the birth of my baby, but there are no guarantees – the person could not be on-call or could be on vacation and another would have to cover for her.  Apparently, it’s standard practice to induce labor just so you can get the doctor you want.  This is absolute insanity, in my opinion.  Inducing labor increases the risk of needing a C-section.  Once you have that pitocin, it kicks off the chain reaction of medical interventions that cause so many problems.  The two best ways to avoid a C-section are to let labor come when it comes, and to stay out of the hospital for as long as possible.  I think I’ll take my chances with whatever doctor is available and let nature take its course, thank you very much.

I did learn something new about pregnancy, although it wasn’t from the doctor, it was from this “Future Moms” program I’m eligible for through my health insurance.  The idea is that the insurance company can help keep costs lower if they provide education and incentives to pregnant women to take care of themselves.  So if I participate, I don’t have to pay the hospital co-pay when I deliver.  That saves me a few hundred bucks!  Plus, I can talk to a nurse on the phone 24 hours a day, during the pregnancy and for postpartum support.  I suspect the nurses will be more helpful than the doctors, so this is a nice perk.  (I’m going to call them regarding the diagnostic tests this week.)  What do I have to do in exchange?  I had to enroll and give a health history (so they could assess my risk), and I have to have a dental cleaning before 24 weeks.  A dental cleaning?  Yes, you see, preterm deliveries are the biggest maternal health cost to insurers.  (Think of the amazing things they are doing for preemies in the NICU.)  And many preterm deliveries are caused by infections.  And many of these infections are apparently caused by, of all things, poor dental health.  Interesting!

Everything seems to be going fine with the pregnancy.  I’ve had no nausea, and just a little bit of fatigue and emotionalism so far, all of which is normal for me.  I enjoy pregnancy.  It’s the post-partum problems that get me.  Don’t worry, I’m sure I’ll share all the disgusting and horrifying details with you when the time comes.

4 comments:

  1. Amy, I am so jealous reading your pregnancy posts. I love, love, love to be pregnant!

    I did something scary this week and offered all my pregnancy and breastfeeding books to a LLL leader I know. It felt so permanent, such an admission that I will not be having another baby. It left me a little sad.

    Can't wait to hear more pregnancy details!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Kelly, I feel for you. I'm dreading the day I give away all that stuff. Even the much despised breast pump.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy, I knew nothing about your first pregnancy until I read the blog post about it that you linked above. I'm so sorry you and Adam had to go through something so horrible, but glad you had the option to make the choice you did. It's inspiring that you haven't allowed one bad experience to scar you from enjoying your subsequent pregnancies.

    Please do continue to share all of the disgusting and horrifying details. I really enjoy reading your pregnancy updates!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really glad to hear that y'all are enjoying the pregnancy updates. I plan to use the blog as my pregnancy journal, so there will be a lot more of it.

    ReplyDelete