Wednesday, September 30, 2009

More Evidence of Montessori at Work

Here are some new things that Samantha is doing, which I can only attribute to her 2 weeks in Montessori.

  • Sammy has started to write her letters.  She mostly draws individual squiggles which look like "c's" and "u's" and she'll "read" them:  A, EF, GEE, EM, ESS, DEE.  THAT SPELLS JINX!  But she has written and identified a recognizable "u," "w," "t" and a "j." 

  • She tried to do a headstand last night.

  • Looking at a blob of soap on her hand, she said, LOOK, MOMMY!  AN OVAL!  And she was right.

  • She rolls up or folds every towel and washcloth in sight.

  • When she is putting away her toys, she doesn't want any help, and she doesn't even want any words to help her:  NO, MOMMY, DON'T TALK.  I'LL DO IT MYSELF.


And my favorite:

  • MOMMY, I'M GOING TO PUT THE STRING ON THE PAPER AND USE THE CRAYON UNDER IT.  DON'T TOUCH, OK, MOMMY?  I'M GOING TO DO SOME WORK.

No comments:

Post a Comment