Friday, September 11, 2009

Names

My daughter has decided that she wants to be called, not Samantha, not Sam, but Sammy.  So Sammy it is!

I started asking her the question, "What would you like to be called: Sam, Sammy, or Samantha?" a few weeks ago.  I tried to ask it at totally random moments, and I altered the order of the 3 versions of her name, since she still tends to choose the last item in a series when she has no real preference.  Every single time, she answered definitively, SAMMY.

I figured that now is a great time for her to decide on a preferred version of her name, since she is starting preschool on Monday.  She has to wear a name tag for the first three days, so we made sure it read, "Sammy."  We also informed her teacher last night at the open house.

Sammy is the form of her name that we've used the least, but we tend to use it occasionally when cuddling or goofing around - very positive associations.  Also, it's the one that sounds the most like MOMMY and DADDY, which I suspect is the primary reason she chose it.

I'm not crazy about calling her Sammy, and I have a feeling we're going to have to go through another adjustment period at some point (12, 13 years old, maybe?) when she decides that Sammy is a baby-name, and wants to be called one of the other versions.  But so be it. 

We've also named our little embryo.  Actually, we named the potential potential a couple of months ago, when it was still just a hope.  We call it SS.  Sam's Sibling.  Oh, excuse me - I mean, Sammy's Sibling.

2 comments:

  1. Cute! I still remember going through that with my daughters (one picked a name I was secretly hoping she would and the other prefers her full name). Sammy is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even if Sammy alters her name in the future, those childhood monikers tend to stick. My relatives still call me using the diminutive Jimmy.

    As a teenager, my youngest hated her name; in part because it was so common. To appease her desire for a new name, I started calling her Leeley, instead of Ashley. Currently, there are several names that I use with her: Ash, Daisy (as in driving Miss), Leeley, and Epimetheus (when I admonish her to think ahead).

    ReplyDelete