Sunday, September 13, 2009

A Bad Week

Well, we didn't make it to the Tea Party here in DC this weekend.  It was a very rough week - rough enough that, if not for Facebook, I would have completely forgotten about it.  And I'm not really in the mood to even read about it right now, especially with the focus on health care, which you'll understand shortly.

Finding out I was pregnant was the only good news.  Adam's grandmother died.  We're all out of grandparents now.  Adam went to the funeral in Pennsylvania on Friday but Sammy and I stayed home.  I didn't know her well, but I did feel a strong connection with her, just as I do with all of Adam's family whom he is close to.  He's told me so many childhood stories about the time he and his sister spent with their grandparents each summer, and Adam and I are so much a part of each other, that I guess I feel like they are my memories as well.  So it was a sad week.

Then there have been all kinds of smaller troubles.  I had to go on antibiotics for an infection - not exactly the first thing I wanted to do after finding out I was pregnant.  I'm also trying to work out what medicines are ok for me to take for my psoriasis, and making my ob-gyn appointments and thinking about health insurance issues.  Sammy had her 3 year old checkup, which was no big deal, but just another doctor, which is not what I particularly wanted to do this week.  The potty training is going well, but it is very draining.  It's kind of like a smaller version of having an infant: you have to get used to the mess and the hassle and the focus and all the new stuff to haul around.  We're gearing up for Montessori which Sammy starts tomorrow.  It's exciting, but we had 2 open houses and lots of new information to take in and some shopping to do.  Of course, Sammy also had her last day at day care this week, and that made both of us very sad.  I started doing some volunteer work for the Ayn Rand Institute this week, which might have been good, but in my frame of mind was just another thing to think about.  Then I received news of 2 acquaintances and 1 friend having serious medical problems.  What's up with health issues this week?  Adam was already behind with his work after the long potty-training weekend so he's been heroically working his ass off through all of this, while somehow keeping his sanity.  This week was much tougher on him than on me.  But at least he got to have a gin and tonic at the end of the day.  (There, I made a joke!)

To cap it all off (this had better be the cap!), this morning Sammy fell off the couch backwards and banged the back of her head on the floor--hard.  She got her first real goose-egg.  We were literally walking out the door to the emergency room when we finally got a nurse on the phone who said it didn't sound bad enough to warrant a trip to the ER.  We're still watching her for dizziness, nausea, and all the rest.  It scared me much more than the bloody cut she got last month.  Maybe it's the pregnancy or all the stuff that has happened this week, but it just really rattled me.  She's napping now, with no signs of a concussion, and I'm starting to feel like she'll be ok. 

If you've read along this far - I apologize.  It can't be that interesting to anybody but me.  I try not to vent like this on my blog.  A big part of why I keep this blog is to help me stay focused on the positive, instead of dwelling on the negative.  But there are times that just putting a list of things like this on "paper" allows me to let it all go.  I'm hoping to make a fresh start tomorrow.  We'll have a new school, a new routine, and plenty of good things going on. 

Goodbye, Grammy Harriet.

2 comments:

  1. Oi! Yeah...just got finished reading Jenn's story...now this. Well...glad ya'll are OK, glad ya'll are better!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fresh to me, hopefully fading into the mists of time for you. Congrats on all the great news, I'm sorry about the bad news. Bittersweet!!

    ReplyDelete