Tuesday, July 7, 2009

The Sam Update - Thirty Four Months Old

Only 2 more months until Samantha is 3 years old!  I'm going to have to start thinking about what to do for her birthday

I have a feeling we've entered the talking phase. I mean, the nonstop, Slyendless, unbearably-cute-and-irritating-at-the-same-time, talking phase.  Sam has always given us her lovely soliloquies, but now she is interested in conversations.  This kind of thing happens a dozen times a day:

MOMMY?
Yes?
MOMMY?  I LIKE, I LIKE, I LIKE GO PWAYGWOUND.
We'll go to the playground after your snack.
MOMMY?
Yes?
MOMMY?  I LIKE JUICE.
You have juice in front of you.
MOMMY?  I LIKE, I LIKE, I LIKE, I LIKE, SOMETHING ELSE.
This is your snack in front of you.
MOMMY?  I LIKE, I LIKE, I LIKE CANDY.
Oh.
MOMMY?
What is it, sweetie?
MOMMY, LOOK!  LOOK, EYES, NOSE, MOUTH [she's made a face on the plate with her food]
That's a face!
MOMMY?  WHAT DOING?
We're having a snack.
MOMMY? MISS E. [her teacher] SQUIRT SHOES WITH WATER. CRIED. MOMMY COME LATER. AFTER NAP.
Oh, Miss E. squirted your shoes with water during water play?  Did you like that?
NO.  SHOOK ME.
You were scared.
YES.  MOMMY?
Yes?
MOMMY? TELL LIDA-BAYDA STORY.
I'm sorry, Sam, but I can't tell you a story while I'm eating. My mouth is busy chewing.
MOMMY?
MOMMY?
MOMMY?
Yes, Sam.
MOMMY?  ALL DONE SNACK.
Ok, let's clean up.
NO! NO CLEAN UP.  MOMMY?  I LIKE SOMETHING ELSE. I LIKE PWAYGWOUND.  I LIKE, I LIKE, I LIKE, WAAAAAAAA!

We seem to be losing a lot of the cute mispronunciations lately.  If I correct her, she can say most words properly, although she still uses her baby words most of the time.  I tried to note as many of them as I could before they disappear altogether:

Pwaygwound (playground)
An bote (both - she always says "and" along with "both")
Shook (scratch)
Shook (scared - I can tell the difference between scratch and scared because with scared she usually does the sign language along with the word)
Membo (remember)
Danky (thank you)
Pudy (put)
Read-ee (read)
Oh-gee (orange)
Hebicopa (helicopter)
Adi-gayda (alligator)
PB (TV)
Bit (bib)
Lida bayda (little bear)
Downshush (downstairs)
Amee-yo (animal)
Sam-bup (stand up)
Seep (sleep)
Back-see-ball (basketball)

What we're getting in exchange is Samantha's new, made-up language.  She mostly speaks it to the cat and it sounds something like, CHA-MOW-WOW.  MI-MI-MOW-A.  HA-HEE-NA-HEE-NA. MUSH. A-WEE-AH. GOI-A-BOO-BOO.  She loves that cat so much we should have known she'd find a way to speak his language.

I've asked Sam a couple of times if she would like a baby brother or sister and she says yes, but I don't think she really knows what it means.  I've heard that many children her age start asking for a brother or sister and I would have expected it from Sam by now since she loves babies so much.  She's definitely the nurturing type and I know she'll be interested in a baby, but I also know that she likes to be the center of attention and the transition will be hard.

In the treeAs I've been writing this, Sam has come over a few times and asked to be picked up.  I explain to her that I can't pick her up while I'm writing and that this is her time to play by herself.  If she seems lost, I'll ask her if she needs help finding something to do.  She usually says no and walks off, but if she doesn't find something she'll be right back again saying, MOMMY PLEASE PICK UP.  But the last time, she went to her bookshelf and I heard her "reading."  When she was done, she said, MOMMY, READ BOOK SELF!  (She can't really read it, but she is working on it, as I'll write about in a future post.)  Sam made a lot of strides in her independence this month.  She can get up and down from her booster seat at the dinner table, she can climb in and out of her car seat, and many other physical things, but mostly, she just continues to find new ways to amuse herself.  And us.

No comments:

Post a Comment