Friday, July 24, 2009

Frustration

So we're in the car coming back from the beach and I have this really interesting thought.  Before Sam was born I would meet little kids and judge them as shy, hyper, curious, sweet, or whatever.  But Sam has gone through enough stages that an outside observer would peg her as any one of these things because that is her primary characteristic of the moment.  It might only last a week, though.

Before you have kids, you are used to judging a person based on one meeting because adults don't change too much.  But all kids go through these stages where they appear to be a certain way, and it means nothing about their overall character.  I had no idea about this before I watched Sam go through it.

Back to the car - I tried to tell Adam about this observation but Sam interrupted me over and over and over again.  I didn't respond to her interruptions (after explaining that I was talking to her dad) but she was just so irritating that I couldn't talk over her like I normally would.  So I waited until she quieted down and started to try to tell Adam again.  But he was in the middle of getting confused by GeePee and made a wrong turn.  He didn't say anything so I just kept talking even though he wasn't listening until I figured it out and asked, "Are you listening?"  No, my words were lost again.

Then Sam started whining again.  I must have said the first sentence of my thought about a dozen times by then, and I was pissed.

At that moment, I missed my blog terribly.  And that's why there are so many mommy-bloggers.

1 comment: