Monday, July 20, 2009

Inanimate Objects

We got a new couch at Ikea a couple of weeks ago.  It's the first major furniture purchase we've made since we moved into our home in Michigan in 2003, when we got a bed and a dining room set.  Those purchases cost as much as a small car, so we quickly ran out of money!

We've been surviving on hand-me-downs and my old Ikea stuff from 1997 ever since.  Furniture just seems so expensive that we put off buying new things until we absolutely have to.  I still miss my old, ugly green Ikea chair-and-a-half, with matching ottoman.  Adam and I sat on it together every single night in front of the TV until we had to literally duct-tape it together, just like Martin Crane.  I learned to breastfeed Sam in it.  In this hilarious video from when Sam was about 5 months old, she is lying on the ottoman, which is covered with a blanket to hide the duct-tape:



The new couch is promising.  It works well in our living room.  I like the way it separates my desk area from the rest of the room.  It has a removable, microfiber slip cover that can be washed in my washing machine.  We bought two covers - the sand color you see here, and the purple you see in the pillows.  There's already a ball-point pen stain on it that I'm not so sure will come out in the wash.  But that just means that we're breaking it in.  I hope we'll love it as much as that ugly old green furniture.

Couch

No comments:

Post a Comment