Monday, August 16, 2010

Summer Fun

I can't believe how busy I've been this summer!  I'm having trouble unloading the dishwasher and getting the laundry from the washer to the dryer, and the whole house is covered in dog hair and apple juice.  (Thank god the maids are coming for their monthly visit on Wednesday.)  I think this means that I'm having fun!

My Big Project for the summer was supposed to be getting a new deck installed. It took me about 3 months just to get 3 quotes, and I did a terrible job because each time I finally got someone out here, I asked for something different, so I can't even compare the bids.  It worked out pretty well, though, because as soon as my parents arrived in town, I asked them for advice on the project and now I know exactly what I want.  But now I need to start over with the bids.  If we get it completed by winter, I'll be happy.

Adam has been busy painting parts of the house and installing new light switches.  I don't know where he is finding the time, but he's doing a better job than I am at keeping up with everything.

Sam and I have done no Montessori work at all this month, since my parents arrived in town for the month of August.  It seems that every moment we're not visiting with them is spent doing errands or other life-maintenance activities.  Or, if we are at home and looking for something to do, all we have the energy for is watching TV.  Mostly we just hang out with my parents, but we've gone to the US Geological Society, the Washington National Cathedral, and the county fair.  (We might have done more than that but it's all a blur.) We still haven't made it to the water park or the aquarium.  One month is just not enough time!

Sam has "slept over" at my parents' motorhome twice since they arrived, so Adam and I have had a couple of great date nights.  First, we went to Wolf Trap (the local outdoor concert venue) to see Bugs Bunny at the Symphony, which was mostly for Adam, but which I also enjoyed.  Then the next week we saw Hal Sparks' stand up act at a small theater.  He was hilarious, and it was a great night.

So, this summer is turning into one long vacation.  It's actually been really nice to have Sam at home with me all day, instead of in school.  I was so worried that we'd run out of things to do, but the opposite has been true.  We can't seem to fit it all in.

In a few weeks, Sam will turn 4 and then she'll go back to school.  I'll have a lot more time for the exciting projects I planned at OCON, blogging, and maybe even fiction-writing.  Hopefully I'll be able to make the transition back to that mindset - you know, the one where you actually work on long-range projects.

How did I end up back on the academic calendar?  I swear, once we're done with Montessori we're going to homeschool year round so we can even out the fun and the work just a bit.  Even though work is fun and fun is work, I like each day to have a little of each.

No comments:

Post a Comment