Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Amy's Turkey Scallopini

This recipe was inspired by the leftover feta cheese from Rational Jenn's yummy Greek Chicken recipe.  I don't use feta cheese very often but I had a whole chunk threatening to go bad in my fridge, along with some flattened turkey breast, so I put this together with some other stuff I had on-hand and it was quite good.  It also meets the Amy requirement of being fast and easy, and you don't need a side dish.

Amy’s Turkey Scallopini
(serves 4)

  • ¼ teaspoon garlic powder

  • ¼ teaspoon dry mustard

  • ¼ teaspoon dried thyme

  • ¼ cup honey

  • 2 Tablespoons olive oil

  • Salt

  • Pepper

  • 1 lemon

  • 8 slices bacon

  • 1.25 lbs flattened turkey breast for scallopini (mine came in 6 slices)

  • Feta cheese (I used about 6 oz.)

  • Bag of baby spinach


Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  (Actually, you should really use the broiler but, get this: The guy who sold us this house took all of the appliances for himself, replaced them with new ones, but bought the cheapest stuff you can get so that I have an oven with NO BROILER.  This is also why I had to replace the hot water heater, the microwave, and the washer and dryer in a period of 3 months earlier this year.  Anyway...)

Make up the honey glaze by mixing together first 7 ingredients in a small bowl.  (I didn't measure so the amounts are a guess.  I kept adding more honey until it tasted good, and next time, I'd use Grey Poupon instead of the dry mustard, but I was out.)

Juice the lemon into a separate small bowl.

Fry up the bacon in a large pan until crispy.  Remove bacon from pan and set aside.  Spoon about half the bacon grease into a separate large pot for the spinach.  Do not discard grease in the bacon pan.

Coat the turkey in the glaze and fry it up in the bacon pan (yes, with all that bacon grease) on medium high heat.  Two minutes per side should do it.  You’ll probably need to do two batches.

As the batches are finished, put the turkey into a 9X12 glass or Pyrex baking pan (or preferably, a BROILER-SAFE PAN WHICH I DO NOT OWN AND HAVE NO NEED FOR--ARG!).  Break the bacon slices in half (or whatever works) and lay them on top of the turkey.  Crumble feta cheese on top.  Sprinkle the whole thing with lemon juice (I only used about half but next time I'd put the whole lemon on there) and pop it in the oven (BROILER!) for about 5 minutes (1-2 MINUTES!) – just enough to soften (MELT!) the cheese.  Seriously, the oven method threatens to overcook the turkey and all you really want to do is melt that cheese a bit.

While the turkey is in the oven, heat up the remaining bacon grease on medium-low and dump in the spinach.  Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes, until just wilted.  Add salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste.

(If everyone in your house likes spinach, go ahead and pre-cook it and put it on the turkey before the bacon and cheese.  I keep it separate to accommodate others in my household, but it is excellent when you put it all together.)

Finally, call suey, like this guy:

No comments:

Post a Comment