Friday, October 8, 2010

Objectivism and The Ayn Rand Institute

Here I go again.  I have two more links today.  Neither is political, but both are ideological.

First we have The Objectivist Round Up, hosted by Sacred Ego.

Next, I would like to make a brief statement:

The Ayn Rand Institute is of great value to me, and so I've donated a little bit extra this month.  I am doing so (and making this public statement) after carefully thinking about an issue that has arisen in the Objectivist "movement," and specifically, thinking about it in these terms (including my husband's comments).

Update:  I realize now that I should have clarified that this is not about the McCaskey/Harriman issue.  And as long as I'm at it, it is not about the mosque debate either.

7 comments:

  1. "Diogenes with his lamp" - ! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really don't see these events as affecting anything significantly, other than the work Mr. McCaskey was doing, and serving as an unfortunate distraction for others.

    My main concern is that Yaron stays at ARI, since I like his tone in the media, and ARI appears to be doing very well under his leadership.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As noted in my update: I realize now that I should have clarified that this is not about the McCaskey/Harriman issue. And as long as I'm at it, it is not about the mosque debate either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy, what issue are you talking about then? Or don't you want to say? (Sweet Baby Jesus, let there not be another brewing controversy!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Diana, I don't want to publicize what I consider to be an attack on my values. This is somewhat related, but separate from the others mentioned, and I'm sure you either already know about it or soon will.

    I just want to support ARI materially and publicly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No offense, but this all seems rather obtuse. If it's not worth explaining, why blog about it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stonewall, I don't have a great answer. In fact, I've thought about this more and now worry that I might have to clarify my position since I said anything at all, especially since the McCaskey thing has grown even larger and my words might be taken to imply some public stance on that issue, despite my disclaimer. But the thing that offended me was so disgusting that there is no way that I will give it any power by responding to it directly. (I thought there would be a huge, separate battle about it but I haven't seen it talked about anywhere, thank god.) I'll have to think about this more.

    ReplyDelete