Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Q&A

A lot of my electronic friends started answering personal questions from anonymous strangers on this formspring thing recently and I swore to myself that I would not start.  The last thing I need is yet another time-suck.  And why would I open myself up to prying minds that way?  But I succumbed, just like with Facebook and Twitter.  Now, I think Facebook is the most awesome app of the decade, and I've found a way to live with Twitter and get what I want from it without spending much time on it.  Maybe formspring will be fun, too.

Besides, it gives me an easy blog post, which I really need right now.  I am still so freaking busy that I'm feeling anxious just writing this intro, so without any further ado, here is some Q&A, brought to you by me via formspring.  (Just click that last link if you want to ask me a question of your own.)

How did you discover Objectivism?


My mom gave me a copy of The Fountainhead when I was 16. I knew immediately that this was the way I wanted my life to be. 

It took a while for me to read Atlas Shrugged, though, because the first few pages are so depressing. I was concerned that AS would not live up to TF, and if it didn't, it would have tainted TF for me. But a few months later my curiosity finally got me to plow through until I met and fell in love with Dagny. I had been disappointed enough by people at 16 that finding that Ayn Rand was consistent was a profound experience.

I would say that I became an Objectivist immediately, mostly based on a sense of life reaction, but also based on my teenager's understanding of reason, independence, and even freedom. Of course, my understanding has grown immensely since then, but there was never a transition for me.



How did you meet your husband?


Adam and I met in New York at the Ayn Rand Institute's auction and banquet celebrating the 50th (60th?)anniversary of the publication of Anthem. Adam lived in NY at the time and was volunteering at the event. I lived in Los Angeles but was in NY on business and so was lucky enough to attend. There's more to the story but you'll have to ask me if you want more!



Would you rather be skinny with an ugly face or fat with a pretty face?


Oh, come on, really? Anyone else?




What would be the best workplace perk?


Coffee, but I think they've already figured that one out.  

No comments:

Post a Comment