Thursday, July 31, 2008

Falcon 1

Speaking of private space exploration, a friend of mine worked on a satellite that is going up on a SpaceX rocket on Saturday, barring the usual possible delays.  I don't know anything about SpaceX except what I see on their web site, but it looks like they are one of the companies doing what NASA used to do: developing and launching new rockets and spacecraft. 

You can watch a Webcast of the launch at http://www.spacex.com/.  Right now the launch is scheduled for Saturday, August 2, between 4-8pm Pacific Time.

I couldn't resist watching a previous launch.  At about 4:20 into this video, you begin to see a sliver of black space beyond the earth that otherwise fills the screen.  It made me realize how much I love Samantha's current favorite word: "up."

No comments:

Post a Comment