Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Up All Night

8:30 - 9:40pm - Sam is screaming while I'm trying to work.

9:40 - 11:30pm - There is silence in the house while I relax and then watch The Daily Show with Adam.

11:30 - 11:50pm - There is silence in the house while I get ready for bed.

11:50pm - 12:15am - I turn out my light and fall asleep within 10 minutes.  Immediately after I fall asleep, the dog starts bumping around under the bed, waking me up.  I fall asleep again, he bumps again.

12:15 - 1:00am - Just as I'm drifting off again, Sam starts crying.  I wait for a while but she seems to have had a bad dream and is working herself up into a frenzy so I go to her room to comfort her and put her back down.  After a bit more crying, there is silence again.

1:00 - 2:00am - Just as I'm starting to dream, Sam starts screaming again.  I go in her room and tell her it's sleep time but I don't pick her up.  I leave the room but she screams even more.  Eventually, Adam gives her some Motrin in case she's teething, but we both suspect that Sam's just working us.  She's been very needy lately and I've gone in to her room to comfort her a few times which is one of those huge mistakes I seem to make over and over again. 

2:30 - 3:07am - She's still crying and I can't take lying there not sleeping anymore so I go downstairs and read Dooce archives for a while.  When I notice she's been quiet for about 10 minutes, I get up to return to bed, but, I kid you not, within two steps, she is crying again.  I return to my computer.

3:07 - 3:45am - She got quiet pretty quick this time but now I'm seriously spooked about trying to sleep.  After a half hour of silence, I decide to try again.  I get up into bed, find the perfect position, and the cat starts howling.  I lie there just hoping he stops before he wakes Sam up.  Sam wakes up.  I go back downstairs, muttering that I guess I might as well stay up so that everyone else can sleep since obviously I AM NOT ALLOWED TO SLEEP.

3:45 - 4:54am - Top Ramen in the middle of the night is very comforting.  It is totally silent for 45 minutes. I go back to bed.  The cat howls again.  I call him up to sleep next to me.  He snuggles in and purrs and we get cozy and it's nice.  It takes about 10 minutes, but I start to finally fall asleep again.  As soon as he notices this offense, the cat jumps up and runs away, howling, knocking things off shelves and stomping about like he weighs 250 pounds.  (Sam seems to be soundly asleep now, so he has to ramp it up a bit.)  I just lie there, too tired to move.

4:54 - 5:??am - The cat does something particularly loud.  I hear Adam stir and I ask, "Did that actually wake you up?"  He says, "Sort of."  I tell him to turn off his alarm and that he can't go to work tomorrow and I can't handle it and I'm going to die and the world is conspiring against me and I'll never sleep again and the cat is evil.  He throws the cat in the shower and turns it on, which gives us about a half hour of silence while the cat licks himself dry.  I manage to fall asleep in that time, and even though the cat went right back to it when he was reasonably dry, I was able to half-sleep through it.

 

Adam got up with Sam, fed her and got her dressed, took care of the animals, and let me sleep until 10:30am.  I might just forgive him for being a sound sleeper.

2 comments:

  1. Did you really throw the cat in the shower? That was great!
    Welcome to toddlerhood!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Aki - Throwing the cat in the shower has been an old stand-by for us for a long time. I don't know why I didn't do it myself. I guess I was just too tired.

    Another great trick for cats is using squirt guns. We call them KD-cubed: Kitty Discipline Delivery Devices.

    ReplyDelete